Panda (Classic) Mongolia bound

Currently reading:
Panda (Classic) Mongolia bound

Kahn Fu Panda

Hi folks, I thought I'd introduce myself and my 1986 Panda 1000s (Daring Doris) as the pair of us and my two sons are heading off on the Mongol Rally next July.
I'm pretty sure that I've seen it mentioned on here before, but for those who don't know, it's roughly 10,000 miles, 3 deserts, five mountain ranges and 14 countries in six weeks, with no support. Plus I'm then planning to drive it back, but the quick way across Russia.
So...
I'm changing the seats.
She will grow a few extra lights
I've fitted a roof rack.
I have a new old stock sump guard from a 4x4.
I'll fabricate a fuel tank guard
I'll make up a snorkel (more for dust than water)
I've fitted an oversized battery
There'll be a few extra electrical outlets for charging phones etc.
Otherwise I was just planning to rebuild the suspension (primarily to avoid finding seized nuts and bolts in the middle of nowhere) and make sure it gets a good service.
On that note I'll throw myself firmly on the mercy of those with more wisdom/knowlege/experience/sense than myself and ask what I've missed.
I'mean sure it'll be a long list so thanks in advance to you all.

I'd like to do the Mongol Rally one day, glad to hear you're taking it on. If you don't mind me asking, how much did that Panda cost you? I know they like it to be cheaper the better on the Mongol Rally!

If you're going to have a bigger battery and lots of electrical output then make sure you've got a good enough alternator to charge up your battery. The one in my Panda is a 65a but some have 45/55a I believe. John fitted one that's almost 100a though, as far as I know, though he has lots and lots of lights!

One thing we do like on the Fiat Forum is pictures, so we'd love to see your Panda, and pics on the trip as well!

95 amp alternator from off a punto mk1 ;) just make sure you convert the panda to use the newer style multi V belt its easy, all you need is the bottom pulley from off a punto or cinquecento.

in my panda Talon i have a split charge system i built myself with a leisure battery in the boot. most of the auxiliary stuff (radio, lighting) runs from the leisure battery.
the battery is isolated from the front when the engine is not running, but as soon as the engine is running it links both batteries together to charge them.

you can also choose to connect the rear battery to the front battery even when the ignition is off, say for if the front battery was to go flat making it so you can start the car from the rear battery. i am missing driving Talon.. i really should look into getting him some tax insurance and MOT.

have a look though this, as you can see i tried it with the old style belt, and it ended up snapping it only a few hundred miles later, so ended up swapping it back over to the newer belt.

https://www.fiatforum.com/members-motors/299063-john-dragon-mans-4x4-sisley-53.html

Thanks for that Dragon Man.
There's definitely food for thought there. The existing alternator is only 45A, but it will be running for six or eight hours a day and, once out of Europe not much at night (and the extra lights are all LED) so it should get a fair charge. On the other hand, if I stick the electric coolbox from my camper in it...
I guess I'll have to do some sums :eek:
I do like the idea of dual batteries though, even if not as a leisure battery, it sounds like a good idea to have a live backup. I guess I'll have to look at space and weight.

I'd like to do the Mongol Rally one day, glad to hear you're taking it on. If you don't mind me asking, how much did that Panda cost you? I know they like it to be cheaper the better on the Mongol Rally!

If you're going to have a bigger battery and lots of electrical output then make sure you've got a good enough alternator to charge up your battery. The one in my Panda is a 65a but some have 45/55a I believe. John fitted one that's almost 100a though, as far as I know, though he has lots and lots of lights!

One thing we do like on the Fiat Forum is pictures, so we'd love to see your Panda, and pics on the trip as well!

I confess that I paid £1200 for Doris, so she's quite tenuous on the "small and s**t" description in the rules. She's actually in astonishing condition, having only done 32,000 miles (which is why I'm planning to bring her back) but she is a 30 year old Panda and fuel gauge is broken, so I reckon they won't mind. At least I'm not taking up the new concession to run massive 1200cc cars!

Welcome. I will leave it for others to fill in the list but hopefully you have a sense of humour.

Well, according to the "schedule" I'm planning to spend my 60th birthday somewhere in the Gobi dessert, ideally beaming out a live blues set with my sons. So I reckon either I've got a sense of humour, or I really hate family parties.;)

Good luck with the trip
Hope your sons are small or do they have other vehicles
Not much room in a panda.
I ensure that one thing that u take is a 4 ton Ratchet strap good for towing good for helping hand when things get a bit hairy also converts to instant engine /gearbox mount Then clothes line then ridge for tarpaulin sheet cover Finally if you want to end it all A Noose All the best .S.

Ah, erm, not too small. One's six foot one and the other six foot four.
With you on the ratchet straps, but never thought of using one as an engine mount. I like your thinking.

I wish my mid life crisis involved doing the Mongol Rally, sob sob... now being a responsible grandparent coming up 63 life (enjoyment for myself) as I knew it is over.

Still got the ruddy 4x4 Panda as a retirement restoration project if I my heart is still ticking.

Think I will have to weld a 5mm thick sump guard onto the babes buggy instead.
Now where did I put Fantastic Mr Fox?

Wish you all the best.
Dave

Sounds like it will be a fantastic trip, good luck. Suggest not adding another lead acid battery, just make sure the one you have is newish and good quality. Get a couple of high capacity good quality lithium USB power packs and keep them trickle charged for electronics and / or a good lithium jump starter pack. You will always find another vehicle to jump you anyway. Save weight and space.

it's roughly 10,000 miles, 3 deserts, five mountain ranges and 14 countries in six weeks, with no support. Plus I'm then planning to drive it back, but the quick way across Russia.
So...
Have you paid the start fee already?
Have you heard of Mongolia Charity Rally?

Which way there you have planned? Got your visas sorted?
I would strongly recommend not to go via Baku as the RoRo feries will likely cause up to one week delay, Turkmenistan visa can be obtained ONLY at their Baku ambasady. Kazah roads are not roads.
No need for 10000 lumens lamps, but set of nice spot lamps help to convided ongoing cars to change back to low beam.
Past Azerbeijan believe me or not, you will NOT be driving after sun set.
In Mongolia - if you can navigate from stars you will be fine at night.

Thanks Kolza, that sounds like the voice of experience.
We're getting the entry in and starting on the visas straight after Christmas.
We're looking at going through Latvia into Russia on a sports liaison visa (multiple entry) then down to Kazakhstan, and into Uzbekistan (thus avoiding ferries and potentially dodgy times in Turkey) then through Kyrgyzstan and back up through Kazakhstan again into Russia and down into Mongolia.
This may yet change.
We're using the visa machine for all our visas and I'm told they'll keep us right.
We've been warned about the night driving! I'm fitting spots and fogs primarily for the British winter and a couple of flood lights for setting get up camp and such. All led, so no big power issue.
Isn't the Mongolia raLly the one where you donate the car? Or is there a third one?
This one is a charity event too, so I'll be on three cadge for donations when we're registered.
Looks like I need to learn Astral navigation as well as Russian now!

Sounds like it will be a fantastic trip, good luck. Suggest not adding another lead acid battery, just make sure the one you have is newish and good quality. Get a couple of high capacity good quality lithium USB power packs and keep them trickle charged for electronics and / or a good lithium jump starter pack. You will always find another vehicle to jump you anyway. Save weight and space.

Good point on the batteries. Makes much more sense.

I wish my mid life crisis involved doing the Mongol Rally, sob sob... now being a responsible grandparent coming up 63 life (enjoyment for myself) as I knew it is over.

Still got the ruddy 4x4 Panda as a retirement restoration project if I my heart is still ticking.

Think I will have to weld a 5mm thick sump guard onto the babes buggy instead.
Now where did I put Fantastic Mr Fox?

Wish you all the best.
Dave

Nah, my midlife crisis was the usual motorcycles and younger woman. This is just post mid-life-pre-grandchildren irresponsibility.

Ah, erm, not too small. One's six foot one and the other six foot four.

With you on the ratchet straps, but never thought of using one as an engine mount. I like your thinking.

Take only what u can wear comfortably
I mean every thing you want to take at once try it ! clothes wise layer up stripdown.
No cotton if you can 1 pair spare boots between 3 sleep under a sheet
No hotels ?
Take extra fuel
Take water
Allways have eggs Add to
Radiator if loosing water ,eat if not!
Inner tube tyre levers only one spare required pump
Check you have a durable spanner or socket for all bolts Do not take an ADUSTABLE (the devils work)
Finally remember it's not compulsory .
Its ment to be fun l

Excellent advice. We may need to take a lot of socks though. Shoe sizes from 9 to 13!

Take only what u can wear comfortably
I mean every thing you want to take at once try it ! clothes wise layer up stripdown.
No cotton if you can 1 pair spare boots between 3 sleep under a sheet
No hotels ?
Take extra fuel
Take water
Allways have eggs Add to
Radiator if loosing water ,eat if not!
Inner tube tyre levers only one spare required pump
Check you have a durable spanner or socket for all bolts Do not take an ADUSTABLE (the devils work)
Finally remember it's not compulsory .
Its ment to be fun l
Definitely no hotels

Don't forget the Durex.

One for each of you and 200 in case of floods to protect your distributor.

Hey, if they are good enough for Clarkson in the jungle they will be good enough for you!

PS. The distributor doesn't need ribbed strawberry flavour

Dave

Back