General Mobile Phone Prep ??

Currently reading:
General Mobile Phone Prep ??

snowmunki

Hi,

Looking at 2nd hand Fiat 500 Lounges or Sport at the moment.

Not sure which I prefer yet.... but notice it comes with bluetooth mobile phone prep ?

What does it mean ?

I can connect my iphone to it and make calls and listen to music ??

Thanks,

Whether you can play music without needing an extra gadget will depend on the age of the car. Late 2010 cars should be ok. Our June 2010 car cannot.

Whether you can play music without needing an extra gadget will depend on the age of the car. Late 2010 cars should be ok. Our June 2010 car cannot.
Was it built in June 2010 or before Robin? Mine was ordered in June 2010, built in July and can play music on the iphone direct from the USB.

It's around that time anyway. My October 2010-registered car was actually made in May 2009 and therefore needs one of those adapters to connect to an iPhone or iPod for music. And then the music can't be controlled from the iPhone or iPod - has to be controlled from the car (not on the stereo, the steering wheel controls and instrument panel menu).

Connects fine via Bluetooth for calls.

This seemed like a real nuisance when I bought the car, but it turns out that it's much easier to put just a small amount of music on a USB key, and play from that, which both early and later cars do equally well. That's because it's clumsy to navigate a large music library through the instrument panel, so it's better to just have a USB key (or several) which can be navigated easily.

-Alex

Last edited:
Unless you change your music library - IE add or delete a track, then it will re-scan and start from scratch.

It's around that time anyway. My October 2010-registered car was actually made in May 2009 and therefore needs one of those adapters to connect to an iPhone or iPod for music. And then the music can't be controlled from the iPhone or iPod - has to be controlled from the car (not on the stereo, the steering wheel controls and instrument panel menu).

Connects fine via Bluetooth for calls.

This seemed like a real nuisance when I bought the car, but it turns out that it's much easier to put just a small amount of music on a USB key, and play from that, which both early and later cars do equally well. That's because it's clumsy to navigate a large music library through the instrument panel, so it's better to just have a USB key (or several) which can be navigated easily.

-Alex

If you jailbreak your ipod/iphone you can install a package which will turn off the "accessory attached" splash screen allowing you to browse your albums etc. from the screen of the apple device whilst docked.

Why Apple have to disable the screen whilst docked is beyond me??

Last edited:
If you jailbreak your ipod/iphone you can install a package which will turn off the "accessory attached" splash screen allowing you to browse your albums etc. from the screen of the apple device whilst docked.

yes, just what is needed... or try 3.5 pin via aux (if the op has it).

Interesting workaround.

With later versions of Blue&Me (after May 2010) there is no splash screen on the iPhone or iPod, because the Blue&Me implements the proper remote control interface. So it's not that Apple disable the screen, but rather that Blue&Me early version treats the iPhone/iPod as only a mass storage device (y)

Jail breaking isn't really a sensible option for iOS5 or iOS6 - if you want to hack an Apple product, you're better off with an Android. It's like performance-tuning a Cadillac :p

-Alex

Interesting workaround.

Jail breaking isn't really a sensible option for iOS5 or iOS6 - if you want to hack an Apple product, you're better off with an Android. It's like performance-tuning a Cadillac :p

-Alex
I haven't "updraded" to Ios6 yet as losing google maps and you tube is a backward step. Ios5 is an easy jailbreak though.
apps only available through jailbreak app store cydia is the best reason to do it. the "NoAccSplash" app is the one I was talking about.
There's a lot of tweaking to be done, once the apple device is jailbroken, nigh on as tweakable as android.

I've got an android tablet, and did have a Galaxy S3 for a few weeks.
Whilst they are powerful, certain apps let it down badly.
Ebay on android is rubbish compared to Ipad ebay.
The same for autotrader, an app I use frequently. Awesome on ipad, crap on android. Both those apps look a good few generations out of date.

Since the release of new handsets with windows phone 8 I've taken an interest. I may get one next phone?? Unsure though (especially with google nexus 4 being £239 sim free (If google ever get them back in stock)) The windows phone 8 should work great with Blue&Me and maxi has said that the B&M sms reader works fine on his windows phone.

Back