General Mk2b overheating

Currently reading:
General Mk2b overheating

Alright guys

I've had my 06 Punto mk2b for over 3 years now and today it overheated after I'd been in a traffic jam for 40 mins crawling in 1st gear, I noticed the temp gauge had gone to max and was red lighting then noticed a bit of smoke coming from under the bonnet, I found somewhere safe to pull over and after I'd turned it off for half hour it was back to normal and has continued to be normal since.

Is it because I was crawling all that time in first? I have e checked under the bonnet and the radiator coolant is just below minimum but I also noticed what looked like oil down the chassis near the radiator coolant bottle but I've no idea if this is new or old?

Any ideas guys?

Cheers

Neil

I had the same issues:

1)Firstly check if you if your Fan is turning on can you hear it ?
2)If you cannot hear it ? Try spinning the fan does it spin or is it stiff ?
3)If the fan is stiff you will require a new fan?
4)If the fan doesn't switch on and the fuse is fine replace the fan?

5) This method is the cheapest check the FUSE for radiator fan could be a blown fuse. And see if the fan switches on

Good Luck

Check the fan/fuse add a direct 12v to it to check its working, sniff the coolant bottle to guess if the head gasket has gone,, I have a proper sniffer kit but to be honest once you’ve smelt a blown hd it’s unmistakeable

Hi all

Thanks for the replies. The fan is really stiff and hard to move by hand. Should the fan always be on or does it just come on when needed? The fuse is ok. Think I'll have to let the garage have a look :-(

THE FAN IS HELD ONTO THE RADIATOR BY 4 8MM HEADED ACME TYPE BOLTS,ONCE UNDONE SLIDE IT OUT OF THE TOP FIXING WITH WIRE OUT OF THE WAY AND PLACE IT ON THE FLOOR
COUNT HOW MANY FAN blades IT HAS AND ORDER A REPLACEMENT FROM EBAY OR GET ONE FROM A LOCAL BREAKER
you dont need a garage to do this
recheck the link i showed you and read my guides post as there are two fuses to check and seized fans usually go for the big boy

caps due to not watching what im tipping:eek:

Hi all

Thanks for the replies. The fan is really stiff and hard to move by hand. Should the fan always be on or does it just come on when needed? The fuse is ok. Think I'll have to let the garage have a look :-(

Its goes on only when needed.
The fuse probably is blown if the fan is siezed ,check again .

In this heat if you ever notice the temperature going up
Stick the cabin heater on max(heat) and speed 4(max), point the vents out open windows and pull over soon as its safe todo so

This will help keep the car cooler but not a fix!

A seized fan probably occoured over winter....

You can regulary free them up by hitting the bearings with wd40
I found hitting with a hammer helped to shock it all free
Working it by hand
And then finally wiring it upto 12v and ensuring it fires up easily and a good airflow

Ive saved a few fans from the bin this way

Getting it out is **** easy too!

Ziggy

In this heat if you ever notice the temperature going up
Stick the cabin heater on max(heat) and speed 4(max), point the vents out open windows and pull over soon as its safe todo so

This will help keep the car cooler but not a fix!

A seized fan probably occoured over winter....

You can regulary free them up by hitting the bearings with wd40
I found hitting with a hammer helped to shock it all free
Working it by hand
And then finally wiring it upto 12v and ensuring it fires up easily and a good airflow

Ive saved a few fans from the bin this way

Getting it out is **** easy too!

Ziggy

Hi

I took out the fan and wired it to the battery directly but the connections on the fan kept on sparking and wires sticking to them. Is it likely goosed? I'm on my way round local scrap yards on the hunt for a new one.

Same here. My fan came on yesterday for the first time in 8 years

Hi

I took out the fan and wired it to the battery directly but the connections on the fan kept on sparking and wires sticking to them. Is it likely goosed? I'm on my way round local scrap yards on the hunt for a new one.
If you put a direct feed and it sparks but doesnt move means the motors trying and draeing huge current but no luck

Try spinning it by hand
Tapping the back bearing with a small hammer
Spin it
Hit it again
Spray some wd40 or lubricant into the bearings
Hit it gently for a few mins to shock the oil into them

Id then try feeding current again to them
Ive had fans where they needed help starting them up but once they start spinning ita a good sign you may revive it

Ziggy

Back