Technical MK1 Punto Squeaking

Currently reading:
Technical MK1 Punto Squeaking

crossy0107

Hi again,

I have now noticed a squeaking from under the bonnet which gets faster as I accerlerate. On long drives it stops. To look at it sound like its coming from belts but I don't know.

from that description i would guess its the cambelt tensioner... and by long trips i guess you mean on the motorway/a-roads (ie. 60mph+) - I would suspect the noise is still there you just can't hear it over road noise etc.

Could you upload a video to youtube and post link here.?

Last edited:
Yeah I will do that for you at some point this evening! I took it to one mechanic and he said it sounds like fan belt from where I had a rocker box leak and its contaminated the fan belt. Does that sound right? Oh and the noise does stop all together because after high speeds, when I slow down the sound is gone until I restart the engine!

well its the same area, although i would expect oil on the belt to stop any noise the belt may be making - That said once the belt gets warm the belt is less likely to slip and cause a squeak. They do tend to start squeaking only at startup and progressively get worse.

Next time you cold start try spraying a little WD40 onto the auxiliary belt and see if the noise stops, if it does its gonna be that belt. Depending on how old the belt is you may get away with just tightening it up.

Back