General Mk1 Punto not starting?

Currently reading:
General Mk1 Punto not starting?

MiniDan

Hi guys,

Longtime viewer, first time poster :p

I've had my brother-in-law's Mk1 1.2 Punto 60 off him before he sets fire to it.

Got a few questions about it.

1. He said the headgasket had gone. His dad changed it and put new oil and water in, but for some reason took the thermostat out. A day after the oil has changed to a caramel colour and all the water had gone. Would this be because the thermostat is missing or because the head is cracked?

2. Tryed starting it up, it will turn over fine but just won't fire. I'm more use to cars with out ECU's and other electrickery. Spark plugs are fine, fuel is getting through OK. Where do I go from here? Oh, and I did notice that the wire that goes to the crank sensor had been broken but twisted back together if it makes any odds.

Cheers guys :)

sounds like the gasket either wasnt fitted correctly or the head is warped(usually due to overheating)
The crank sensor is whats called a primary trigger, tells ecu where the engine is with regards to tdc for firing fuel and spark.
get one from the scrappy if its been tinkered with as the wires are sheilded against interferance not to mention the resistance that dodgey wiring conection would have on the signals been sent to the ecu(n)

Cheers! :)

Ah, forgot to say, the head wasn't skimmed and I don't think new headbolts were used. So definaty got to take it all apart again.

Will the primary trigger wire off a GT work? I know of one being broken close by.

really wants to be off a 1.2 8valve.
some say you can use head bolts up to four times.i use only once.just make sure you check its level with block,clean faces well ane would recommend the use of an ricambio head gasket with new bolts.

sounds like his dad has ballsed it up.

if all the water and oil has mixed together and there is no coolant left.. then it's clear it's been put back together wrong / with a fault not repaired.

compression test will confirm the job is fooked.

Back