Technical Mk1 brake problem

Currently reading:
Technical Mk1 brake problem

newbieboy

Hello all

Be very grateful if anyone could could help with a problem my son is having on his R reg Mk1 Punto.

The nearside front wheel is getting very hot, so we removed the wheel and checked the brakes. It seems that the pads are binding on to the disc after the brake has been operated and released. Checked and cleaned (with brake fluid) the caliper piston - which hasn't seized - and put copper grease around the metal junction pads and caliper, but things have not improved.

Any ideas on what to go for next, does the caliper need to be replaced? It all looks ok, with the piston and its seal looking perfectly clean. :confused:

Any ideas on what to go for next, does the caliper need to be replaced? It all looks ok, with the piston and its seal looking perfectly clean. :confused:

Before changing brake caliper, I suggest doing the flexy bit of brake pipe(y)

They tend to perish internally sometimes, rusulting in them becoming blocked, not releasing the pressure and brake pad.

We found this out the hard way in our Panda. Changed caliper, then found the problem still persisted, and changed the rubber brake pipe/hose, and hey presto, problem went:p:)

Jon.

bit bizarre if the caliper pistons are fine, is the wheel spinning fairly free when its jacked up?

its a good prediction im not knocking it I wouldnt of thought of it, your answer wasnt there when i read the question!

They tend to perish internally sometimes, rusulting in them becoming blocked, not releasing the pressure and brake pad.

We found this out the hard way in our Panda. Changed caliper, then found the problem still persisted, and changed the rubber brake pipe/hose, and hey presto, problem went:p:)

Jon.

Thanks for that, sounds very interesting. In fact, it had crossed our mind that the flexi pipe was a possibility - seeing as the piston looked in good shape. I think we'll give that a whirl, before going to the expense and trouble of changing the caliper - especially as we were going to replace the pipe with the caliper anyway.

Thanks again (will let you know how it turns out).

Yep, was the flexi pipe. Changed it - without as much difficulty as we imagined we might have - and the problem solved. Grateful not to have had to go the bother/expense of changing the caliper.

Many thanks for the help/advice. :D

Yep, was the flexi pipe. Changed it - without as much difficulty as we imagined we might have - and the problem solved. Grateful not to have had to go the bother/expense of changing the caliper.

Many thanks for the help/advice. :D

Your most welcome, and glad it saved you the expence of a replacement caliper like it did us when we had a similar problem.:p

Jon.

Jon.

yep, changed everything caliper+pads+disc and brake still wouldnt fully release when i let go of brake pedal making car wobble left- right, then i changed flexi rubber pipe and its back to normal, shame i didnt find this earlier, could have saved few mins of work(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Back