General Minor Scratches

Currently reading:
General Minor Scratches

Hello everyone, it has been a while but I was too busy moving out with my other half.

Well, I have a minor problem and I need your advise. I caused this problem so please be gentle. :p

There was a minor scratch on my volare blue 500 so I used my Sonax cream to remove it.

I've done this procedure like a million of times and its my number one choice! The scratch was removed but I noticed some other circular (because of the movement) minor scratches. So I guess that I damaged the polish layer.

They are not even noticeable but I get mad with myself knowing that they are there because of me. :(

Probably many of you will ask from some pictures. I tried to but they are so small - white and they can be seen only with a naked eye. (and with a DSLR I guess :p) It also depends on the lighting, sometimes it seems that they are not even there.

I think that a wax may help but I want your opinions too. :)

I've done this procedure like a million of times and its my number one choice! The scratch was removed but I noticed some other circular (because of the movement) minor scratches. So I guess that I damaged the polish layer.

I think that a wax may help but I want your opinions too. :)

You have most likely put some very tiny scratches in the lacquer coat. They will likely polish out if you use the right product & technique - but if you use too coarse a product or apply it using the wrong technique it's possible you could make it worse. A competent professional detailer with machine polishing equipment would probably be able to restore the finish to 'better than new' standard.

What you can do quite safely yourself even if you have no experience is to polish it with Autoglym Super Resin Polish. This is a combination product - a very fine abrasive mixed with a scratch filler. Applied by hand, it will probably fill the scratches rather than polish them out, but the effect will be to make them disappear, and you can apply a wax over the top to keep it looking nicer for longer.

If it still looks unacceptable after polishing with SRP, then I'd leave it to someone with experience, a machine polisher and a paint thickness gauge to avoid making it worse.

Back