Merc lights way too bright

Currently reading:
Merc lights way too bright

Bolty

I dont know if anyone else has been angered by this but I have a few times been following a new mercedes in the evening or at night; the brake lights are blinding! Also was in front of one on the motorway and the front running lights are just as bad in the rear view! Bloody LEDs!

I'd tend to agree, with reservations. Rear LEDs in brake lights come on a fraction of a second quicker than normal incandescent bulbs which at high speeds, such as at motorway speeds, mean the following driver can stop quite a few feet shorter which can help avoid a collision.

Up to a point normal brake lights can also blind you if the driver in front sits at the lights with his/her foot on the brake pedal but LEDs can be worse because they are that much more intense. The answer really lies in the Merc driver putting the handbrake on and selecting neutral.

You are of course right and I was aware of this when I posted but didn't mention it. Nonetheless, it isn't that difficult to pull a handbrake on and push the gearlever forward a couple of inches. In an auto there are 8 actions:

Press brake, apply handbrake, select neutral, release brake pedal, press brake pedal, select Drive, release handbrake, release brake pedal.

In a manual there are 12 actions:

Press brake, press clutch pedal, apply handbrake, select neutral, release brake pedal, release clutch pedal, depress clutch pedal, select 1st gear, find biting point, release handbrake, allow clutch pedal up all the way, press accelerator.

Less effort in an auto than a manual.

You cant win, too bright behind and too bright in front! I find it all a bit blingy anyway, like the new RR lights. The thing resembles a badly decrotated christmas tree!

Few of the mercs i have been in/ driven have a handbrake as such....... you dont pull it on you stand on it... then have to lean forwards to pull the release with your right hand whilst putting it into gear with your left....

My Grandad has this type of handbrake in his merc. He only has one leg and cannot put it on as the pedal is on the wrong side. He uses park all the time as it acts like a handbrake.

Back