Technical Mechanical rattle at cylinder 4 end of the camshaft

Currently reading:
Technical Mechanical rattle at cylinder 4 end of the camshaft

Hi guys,

Since having the head gasket done, I could hear a very faint metallic rattle in the engine, now, 3 months on, this sound is very obvious whilst the engine is idling below operating temperature. As far as I can tell, it is coming from the very end of the camshaft. I do suspect that the garage I had the HG done may have reassembled something incorrectly, so I need a bit of advice as to what this rattle might be to go back to them. I at first suspected an inverted head gasket, but since I can see oil splashing about under the filler cap, and the fact that the engine has not welded itself to itself, it's safe to assume it is getting oil.

The rattle disappears when the engine is under load, and when the revs are raised, even slightly.

It's a Punto 55s, and since it is due to replaced soon, I also need as much advice as possible to decide whether to just live with it until my next car becomes available.

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:
The cam cover is quick enough to take off and have a look. After that suspect something dropped into the cylinder. I once had a Rover diesel with an unexplained rattle which turned out to be a cracked piston skirt that was flapping. I dont know if this is ever and issue with Fiats.

Edit: Some garages have have special tools to actually look inside a cylinder or other hidden spaces.

Last edited:
WhiteSei,

I cannot for the life of me remember if I am supposed to use a new rocker cover gasket if I remove the cover. I've got the instant gasket from when I did my girlfriends RCG, so it's just a case of ordering the gasket from shop4parts if I need it. I suspect that it is either incorrect valve clearance on piston 4, damaged bearing or perhaps even a shell bearing cap that hasn't been torqued up properly and is working itself loose.

Cheers,

Mike

You can reuse the gasket as many times as long as it doesnt leak, no problem. Theres nothing critical about it, it just keeps the oil from coming out of the engine. Just give it a good clean and use some sealant in the corners where the camshaft sits, because usually it wont seal a 100% there otherwise.

Cheers Liquidh2o, will whip it off when I get a minute. Luckily, I've already got the black instant gasket from doing my lady's car, so it should be a quick job. Going to get my hands on a feeler gauge first though.

Back