Currently reading:
Technical Mechanic says I need different wheel bolts

StatPanton

Hi there!

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to working on cars so figured this would be a good place to get some answers.

I had to replace one of the steelies on my Punto so i thought i'd go all out and get a set of alloys, specifically Dezent RE darks, from FB Marketplace.

When i got my mechanic mate to fit them however he said it would need new wheel bolts and sent me a link on which ones to get (https://wheelpartsdirect.com/products/bolts/485) but they didn't end up fitting.

After a bit of research i could only seem to find these as the solution (https://wheelpartsdirect.com/products/bolts/108/fiat/punto-mk3/aftermarket) but he has said again that these won't work

Could anyone here recommend to me what i would actually need?

Thanks in advance

Wheel manufacturers normally use a few standard style of bolts.

Have a look at the wheels and see if its a straight hole like when you drill into a wall or if it is angled (tapered).
Some rare occasions like with Mercedes you can get wheels that have a dome instead of a taper, you will need to remove 1 wheel bolt to ensure what is needed for the car.

Hope this helped!

Hi there!

I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to working on cars so figured this would be a good place to get some answers.

I had to replace one of the steelies on my Punto so i thought i'd go all out and get a set of alloys, specifically Dezent RE darks, from FB Marketplace.

Could anyone here recommend to me what i would actually need?

Thanks in advance
Hi 🙂

Basics here :

Your car is a 199 body,
so Grande Punto, Punto Evo,
and 2012+ punto. Are all the same

You Need a wheel with a 4x100 fitment 😉

Grande 199 was a joint venture, the Opel CorsaD and AlfaMito are related

So the wheel PCD mounts changed from the Fiat standard 4 x 98

To the 4 x 100 your cars hubs have

TRADITIONALLY FIAT bolts are suitable for their steel and alloy wheels
But you bought aftermarket 🤔

Use the forums Excellent Search function to see other members who bought your brand of Alloys

See what their experiences were 🙂

Hi 🙂

Basics here :

Your car is a 199 body,
so Grande Punto, Punto Evo,
and 2012+ punto. Are all the same

You Need a wheel with a 4x100 fitment 😉

Grande 199 was a joint venture, the Opel CorsaD and AlfaMito are related

So the wheel PCD mounts changed from the Fiat standard 4 x 98

To the 4 x 100 your cars hubs have

TRADITIONALLY FIAT bolts are suitable for their steel and alloy wheels
But you bought aftermarket 🤔

Use the forums Excellent Search function to see other members who bought your brand of Alloys

See what their experiences were 🙂
Thanks for the info on the Wheel PCD Charlie. I didn't know that. Such a small difference it would be easy to not notice but the wrong wheel would cause a side load on the wheel fixing (bolt) which it's not designed for also, if you put the wrong wheel on a hub not designed for it you might end up with a wheel running off centre which would cause all sorts of balance problems? Is the centre hole the same on both? If not I could see further porential problems there.

Am I being to simplistic if I suggest a phone call to the wheel manufacturer on the part of our OP? might be the easiest way to get a satisfactory resolution.

Also, StatPanton, might be a good idea to check with your insurer as to whether fitting a non standard wheel affects your insurance. I know that sounds maybe "silly" - especially if the new wheels are same width and diameter as original - but insurance companies can be very "funny" about aftermarket wheels, some even list aftermarket wheels in their illustration of what you need to tell them about - You don't want to give them any excuse to invalidate your insurance.

Thank you for all the help guys!

The aftermarket wheels are 4x100 and i can't seem to find anyone having an issue with bolt fittings for Dezent. Fitting also seems to be tapered so both the standard bolts and the ones from the second link should work (I have attached photos of it though just in case im wrong.)

Phoned the insurance also Jock and they said it wouldn't affect my policy thankfully, which is half the reason i didn't just go get another steel. Will also try phoning Dezent, but the only number available is from Germany 😄

Think i might just tell my mate to fit them with what we've got as i really can't see an issue with the fittings. :)

Attachments

• 371513973_723911679075277_3431251072481726443_n.jpg
    371513973_723911679075277_3431251072481726443_n.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 380571152_1001451740922355_7416692740598645284_n.jpg
    380571152_1001451740922355_7416692740598645284_n.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 16
@StatPanton

Your 2 links are for 2 different types of bolt.. The Threads are different

Pretty sure you need M12 x 1.25

Thats the distance between the threads is 1.25

Easiest measured over 10mm = 8 threads
So..
(x 1.5mm pitch thread would be less than 7 threads)

Standard FIAT wheel bolt and FIAT locking bolt pictured
Probably x 1.5 pitch.. Suit panda and 500
20180401_132551.jpg

Back