General Marks on 500 bossa nova white paintwork

Currently reading:
General Marks on 500 bossa nova white paintwork

ChrisandLisa

Hi everyone. We have had our 500 lounge for just about a year. For the past six months I've noticed increasing amounts of black marks appearing on the paintwork. Mainly on the bonnet but a few on the roof near the rear spoiler. I've heard a few people have had issues with paint quality and before I take it back to the dealer I wondered if anybody else had seen the problem before?
Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 106
Hi. The marks are def on top of the paint. It looks like the kind of thing you might get if you drag a fuel hose across the paint when filling up, which we haven't. Pardon ignorance but what is a clay bar?

Hi everyone. We have had our 500 lounge for just about a year. For the past six months I've noticed increasing amounts of black marks appearing on the paintwork. Mainly on the bonnet but a few on the roof near the rear spoiler. I've heard a few people have had issues with paint quality and before I take it back to the dealer I wondered if anybody else had seen the problem before?
Cheers

Wash the car, then use this followed by this followed by this, and it will come up looking better than new.
http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/collinite-marque-delegance-no-915.php

Last edited:
Smudged tar spots. I get them all the time.
Have to use tar spot remover or white spirit every other wash.

:eek: clay bar is all you need

Clay bar is the last thing i would use on tar spots! Chemical removal is safer tar is often full of grit and rock dust last thing you want to do is rub it with a clay bar

I favour autosmart tardis tar remover and a soft microfibre soak a mf cloth place on the spots hold 30 seconds and VERY lightly wipe away

If you have some super resin polish put a blob on the tar the solvents in it will also soften it

Last edited:
:eek: clay bar is all you need

Clay bar will remove everything from the paint surface. You need to seal it & wax it afterwards, or your nice clean paintwork won't stay that way for long.

SRP also removes tar spotting btw, but it won't shift bonded contaminants.

Last edited:
Clay bar will remove everything from the paint surface. You need to seal it & wax it afterwards, or your nice clean paintwork won't stay that way for long.

Depends what you use for lube(y) If you use a quick detailer spray, you'll have a week or two of protection so you don't have to wax right away.

But I say using clay on tar spots is like using a sledgehammer to crack eggs.

I'd agree (and generally give 'em a quick wipeover with SRP as soon as I see any), though if you look closely at the OP's original picture, there are other contaminants bonded to the surface which you would need to clay to remove.

It was me that suggested that they may be tar spots. Could be something else I guess.
Either way I also think clay bar is a bit extreme. Most good wax/ polishes will remove stains on paint without risking any damage to the surface.
I get a lot tar spots snd orange dots on my BNW paint. No idea where the orange bits come from.

I'd agree (and generally give 'em a quick wipeover with SRP as soon as I see any), though if you look closely at the OP's original picture, there are other contaminants bonded to the surface which you would need to clay to remove.

I was on mobile. Having a better look at it now I don't think it's tar at all.

I'd just try a good wash and polish. Then consider solvents fall out remover and clays and such.

Back