General Mark 1 virgin here, just bought a non runner

Currently reading:
General Mark 1 virgin here, just bought a non runner

Gti180dom

Experinced life risker
Hi guys, sure you'd all seen the hormann kitted orange mark 1 that was on n off ebay more times than enough (this one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140194260444&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123). Well i hummed n harred about it cos he only wanted 300 quid for it n it was only 10 mile down the road! Anyway i bit the bullet n bought it cos its worth 300 all day long in parts alone! My intentions hav always been to bust it up however on inspection its actually quite a clean example and its obviously been owned at some point by a raving enthusiast cos amongst the spares i got with it was a massive pile of autoitalia magazines round 1995 and loads of laminated avanti information! Anyway the reason its a non runner is due to an electrical fault (coil pack, see pics) so before i start rippin it to pieces i think i might have a go at gettin it running. Id like to point out that i only bought the car for the recaro leather seats lol. So if i get it runnin i can stick my standard mark 2 seats in it and built its front end back up and sell it on as a cheap, chavvy yet head turnin uno. Anyway down to business, could a mark 1 owner in the know, please tell me which of the three wires in the bottom pic goes to which pin on the coil pack (only have 2 pins)

Photo-0191.jpg

Photo-0190.jpg

Photo-0189.jpg

Cheers

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
No im still doing the crack, got the unos as a spare time thing

Ha Ha nice one Dom!!

Erm can’t remember where I pulled the yellow wires from – will have to dig out the book where I made notes when I find it…

This is how my 1299 bay looks (click click...)

MK1 bay.jpg

There seems to be 2 yellow wires going to a terminal block – much like the red and blue wires going to the coil. Will have to wait for someone else to advise where they go :confused:.

Header tank anyone??

Last edited:
Hey Louie, yeah your coil packs got the same pins without any wires on them. The yellow wires in my pic come off the loom next to the afm plug

Excellent dom, if that was ten miles from me, i'd have bought it! theres a mk2 l reg not ten miles from me for £100, drove past the other day and it aint budged, good luck with her! Ant!

Attachments

• ants pics n95  oct 043.jpg
    ants pics n95 oct 043.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
Get that mark 2 bought mate. U can have the engine out this orange one! Need to find a loom for it like, shouldnt have much problem doin that. Dont fancy ploughin money into it to get it running. Its not the most solid underneath just wanna hear the engine running. It turns over fine n compression is spot on just cant get a FECKIN SPARK!!!

Last edited:
Got it running! Itll idle till you put the revs on then itll cut out. Could be throttle sensor or coil pack? Not massively bothered, like i say i always had the intention of breaking it and dont really have the money to put into it so here we go..... As of now i am breaking a Mark1 uno turbo, everything available apart from kit (mine, mine, mine!!). Most stuff is doubled up, there is a newish looking cylinder head in the boot with a recent skim and no cracks whatsoever. As well as a bottom end with new big end bearings in the packet. Anyway ill put full info in the for sale section to keep the mods happy and save me rambling on here!

Back