General marea 2.0 20 valve engine dead

Currently reading:
General marea 2.0 20 valve engine dead

Hi all
After over taking a lorry and accelerating hard with a BMW up my rear my engine has died, did not do it straight away, after about half a mile the engine cut out but came back to life straight away, only when i had to stop at a road junction did the engine stop, it restarted but sounded awful as if there was a load of bolts running around the engine, managed to get home but engine will not turn over on starter motor and will not bump start, any ideas!
Could the cam belt have jumped a tooth, and if so what damaged could have happened, the only other thing i can think of is one of the valve has dropped.
any ideas or advise would be helpful.:( at least the BMW did not get by! also took it to the redline when over taking, but engine was running smooth untill i had to stop at the road junction.
Have checked cambelt which is still intacted and seems ok, when car first cut out the key code sign flashed up on the dash then went out, year of car is 1999

Last edited:
hi
take spark plugs out (so no compression) and try turning engine manualy
(gently) on the crankshaft pulley NUT using a spanner. this may give an indication if engine has seized. Pleased the old gal got you home!.It may not be as drastic as a siezed engine or dropped valve but you need to elimanate this first.Could be jamed elsewhere such as the clutch etc. Hope its not to serious.
dave

Last edited:
Hi Dave
Engine not seized, drove it home in this condition, but had no power from engine just enough to get going, once home would not turn over, think battery could be flat seemed to struggle when first turned over then battery just died, but also will not bump start so not sure whats going on, only had car for three months, but just loved to be revved with that engine note, cars got 146000 miles on clock so not done to bad .

Hello , you say the batterys dead ,is that for deff , i had the same sort of thing some months age , my 2.0 20v was running like utter ****e , turned out it had a fiesta batt on it - had it changed for the propper one al i happy/pleased all ok since, the ilk of Bulldog/Dave and suchlike would be able to give you a more informed idea as to the problem so give it a few days -

Joker
Hi Dave
Engine not seized, drove it home in this condition, but had no power from engine just enough to get going, once home would not turn over, think battery could be flat seemed to struggle when first turned over then battery just died, but also will not bump start so not sure whats going on, only had car for three months, but just loved to be revved with that engine note, cars got 146000 miles on clock so not done to bad .

Hi mate
Defiantly not the battery, engine damaged, started up but sound awful as if full of nuts and bolts,and then cut out, my guess is cam belt possibly jumped or dropped valve, have charged battery and will not turn engine over, even try-ed to jump start of the wifes ulysse still no joy, as if engine is siezed or locked up.

Back