Technical marea 1.6- intermittent power problem

Currently reading:
Technical marea 1.6- intermittent power problem

npr

Hi- I have a marea 1.6sx . It has now done 60K and has been reasonably reliable apart from hopeless dealings with Fiat main dealers!

Recently it has developed a problem whereby intermittently, when you put your foot down there is very little increase in power or the power surges after a few seconds. It only tends to happen when I have been driving for 1/2 hour or so.

Would the spark plugs be a good place to start or have you any other suggestions? I know I can take it to a garage but I was hoping someone may have had a similar problem and can advise me accordingly.

thanks for any advice,,

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

A diagnostic check will usually point you in the right direction and can save money on abortive parts buying.

Power lag can be caused by several things, pull the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator and check that there is no fuel in it. Fuel in the hose would indicate a split diaphragm.

It won't hurt to check the plugs for wear and colour. When was it last serviced?

Thanks for the suggestions-

being non-technical I will probably go for a diagnostic test- though it should be easy enough to check the things you mention.

It was serviced only about 8,000 miles ago and I have had a recent oil and filter change

Has the power delivery ever been that satisfactory?
I've got to say that a lack of power low down does seem to be a 'feature' of this engine, which at least in my car has the peakiness of a 2 stroke moped i.e nowt below 3.5k and after 4.5k.
I had some temporary improvement when I reset the ECU, but I was assured that that would be short-lived and they were right.

The loss of power is very noticeable- it feels like the brakes have been applied!
:(

I have had the lamda sensor replaced a the garage said it was causing the problems (the amber warning light stayed on during a journey last night)- However I am now thinking that there may be a hole in the exhaust- could this have caused the problems with the sensor-and led to the fuel mixture being wrong and then led to the power problems?

Back