image.jpeg

Panda (Classic) Making the panda mighty again

Introduction

We've had 'The Mighty Panda' for nearly 4 years, it's been a workhorse during a long house renovation, moving materials, livestock and timber around but we've known that the sills were very rusty for most of that time. Anyway having removed the carpet yesterday the extent was far worse than expected..

I've started this thread to show the damage and repair as well as ask lots of questions of you far more knowledgeable folk. Here are a couple of pics (I hope..!)
Apologies for the temporary delay in updates, a short notice trip back to the UK and similar weather conditions have meant slow progress.

I've almost finished the right hand sill, a couple of small closing patches and the door seal spot welds to complete and then I can start the left hand side.

The irony of not having the 4x4 panda through the winter was not lost on me :rolleyes:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    525.7 KB · Views: 66
Managed a couple of hours in the workshop today. Stopped the repair section into its component parts before I start trimimg it all to size and prepping it for welding.

There are a surprising number of pieces which make up the panda sill structure.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    935 KB · Views: 53
Another day of grinder sparks and welding burns! Managed to get all the sill and rear arch structure welded in today, hopefully I'll be able to get the outer skins fitted tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    538.3 KB · Views: 56
I'm not sure whether anyone is actually looking at these photos but here is the rear chassis repaired and closed back up with a repair panel. The rearmost area needs a little extra work tomorrow and then I have a body cut to weld in to close off the rear wheel arch.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    632.9 KB · Views: 42
After a bit of a dig at a rusty patch where the rear seatbelt mounts fit under the seat a huge hole was discovered. A bit of head scratching later and I fabbed up and welded in a repair patch and cover plate to replace the rotten area.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    814.5 KB · Views: 41
Spent an eventful day chasing electrical issues pre MoT equivalent on Thursday. Discovered issues in the hazard, side light, number plate light, side repeater and interior light circuits, got to love old Italian cars! All fixed now (y)

Back