Tuning Magneti Marelli Upgrade Power Module for Twinair

Currently reading:
Tuning Magneti Marelli Upgrade Power Module for Twinair

I just checked - they're the same size. [Edit] that's arse - the 1.4 100hp has 257mm discs, and the TA has 240mm.

So that'll explain why the brakes feel more effective. Good to know, I shall bin my solids when they wear out. Couple of calipers isn't such a great cost, but the brakes will be significantly better.

Last edited:
I dont see the need for bigger brakes for a 1.2 or ta. The standard brakes will only fade after a good long thrash and the 1.2's brakes can happily stop a 500 at speed.

given the minimal gains a tuning box is going to bring the stock brakes will cope, whats more interesting is the mid range torque increase for real world driving also curious how these work with eco mode, ie do they have a revised eco mode map

no gripes with brake performance on the TA but pedal could be a bit more progressive for me but thats personal taste

given the minimal gains a tuning box is going to bring the stock brakes will cope, whats more interesting is the mid range torque increase for real world driving also curious how these work with eco mode, ie do they have a revised eco mode map

no gripes with brake performance on the TA but pedal could be a bit more progressive for me but thats personal taste
Pads will give it a more progressive feel :) Standard pads are horrid

Excellent Info guys. Thanks. I may just get solid drilled discs for my 'modified' TA : )

I dont see the need for bigger brakes for a 1.2 or ta. The standard brakes will only fade after a good long thrash and the 1.2's brakes can happily stop a 500 at speed.

Maxi to be honest i feel safer with better brakes so i would feel safer in a 1.4 than a TA or 1.2. Of course for most drivers it wont make a difference but if you need to slow down in a hurry from speed, better brakes do make a difference! Try emergency braking from 70 mph in the 1.4 and you will see how much better it is than the TA/1.2.

Given that the TA is basically the same price as the 1.4 was, I would feel a little shortchanged with the model to be honest; it doesnt have as good brakes as the 1.4 and it does not come with ESP as standard as the 1.4 or the lower suspension. Fuel economy is not everything.

Last edited:
Don't be fooled by thinking disc brakes are 'needed' on the rear of a light (nose heavy) FWD car, they aren't - drums are perfectly satisfactory (and actually more effective than discs because they 'self servo'). If there is any criticism with the brakes on my TA, it's that they might fade after repeated high speed braking because the discs on the front are solid.
You left out the proportioning valve. Because a disc/drum system is essentially a mechanical miss match, the proportioning valve delays releasing pressure to the front discs, until sufficient pressure for the drums has been reached. It's only a fraction of a second, but it's why rear disc cars feel better under brakes.

The 'self servo' effect is also a problem as it actually needs to be engineered out to stop the rear brakes locking past a certain pressure. EBD helps no doubt, but is really masking the real issue. In many ways, it's better to start out with a balanced system, especially if people are thinking of adding bigger discs/ calipers to the front.

But I agree, bigger discs will make the braking system 'feel' better/ more powerful, but actual braking power on the street (where fade shouldn't be an issue) is really down to vehicle mass vs traction, as long as the brakes are strong enough to lock the wheels, it doesn't matter if they're big, small, vented disc, drum, single or multi pot. In fact, in a freeway emergency stop with stone cold brakes, smaller brakes will reach temperature quicker and might out perform a set of Brembos.

I plan on getting a tuning box, but am probably going to keep the braking system stock. The best way to keep these little engines (and brakes) happy is to keep the car light.

Last edited:
Before committing to the MM name, research others. I suggest you look at the popularity of the product in the USA for the Abarth. A number of people of had various issues pop up more and more. As we can't name the forum, you can easily google Magneti Marelli ECU issues or Magneti Marelli Engine Module for North American Abarth. I owned one and sent it back to 500 Madness for a TMC unit which has been flawless. Funny thing is, 500 Madness didn't even offer me a MM to replace the original one. That says a lot.

On the brakes topic - I always prefer discs all round. Drums feel as though they're grabbing initially - caused by that servo effect and the last thing you want on the back end - and then drop off slightly whereas discs feel progressive until you get to the point of fading, which is not normal on the road.

You left out the proportioning valve. Because a disc/drum system is essentially a mechanical miss match, the proportioning valve delays releasing pressure to the front discs, until sufficient pressure for the drums has been reached. It's only a fraction of a second, but it's why rear disc cars feel better under brakes.

Disc brakes are no different in this regard, they have a) a pressure reduction valve in the rear to reduce the pressure seen at the caliper and b) small discs and a small caliper piston to 'engineer' the brake balance to be biased strongly to the front. The car differs in no way having drums or discs, it's still a car that's light, and has an engine in the front, the effort required at the rear wheels is identical.

Any update (and specs) for this module:confused:

I haven't heard from Mattia at DotShop [Italy] yet.

I'll email him on Monday to see what info he's got, or you could contact him directly through their website.

His English is very good. Tell him I recommended you, he'll do you a good deal.

Cheers,

Ian.

They push the same motor to 105hp on the 500L, but I don't know if there are any mechanical changes??

Yes there are : cylinderhead and turbo are completely different.

Attachments

• TwinAir-85-105-verschillen..jpg
    TwinAir-85-105-verschillen..jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Was just told shipping will be an extra 70 euros. So I bailed out.

That's ridiculous - I've just costed it and a 30cm x 20 cm x10 cm package weighing 1 kg - surely bigger and heavier than it would be - costs £16.80 to send by courier from Italy to the UK guaranteed within two days - get in touch with them and tell them not to be so bloody silly.

Back