Technical Low mpg

Currently reading:
Technical Low mpg

Jd951

Hi folks, I recently joined a Facebook group for Doblos where I've seen a few times the guys and girls post what mpg they are averaging. Some people are getting 50/60mpg out of their 1.6 multijets like I have so I had a look and mine appears to be shockingly low at 33mpg. Does anyone know what could be causing that or if thats just normal?

Hi folks, I recently joined a Facebook group for Doblos where I've seen a few times the guys and girls post what mpg they are averaging. Some people are getting 50/60mpg out of their 1.6 multijets like I have so I had a look and mine appears to be shockingly low at 33mpg. Does anyone know what could be causing that or if thats just normal?
You need to know if comparing like for like, some will report what is showing on the dashboard, I have a 2010 Doblo 1.6 multijet that on a run was showing I had well over 500 miles range left, once back in town that figure had dropped to 300 miles, all still on a near tank full after a 30 mile journey!
I have a Skoda Scout 4x4 that on short trips around town shows 14mpg when cold, but 43+mpg once on a dual carriageway.
Tests carried out in Winter will show lower mpg and if a hilly area with stop /start driving short journeys will be even worse.
When working at a Mazda Dealership around late 70s a customer complained his Mazda 1000 was only getting around 18mpg, the car was running perfectly and when we tested it was returning 30+ mpg, we got the area rep to test it with the owner and got 42mpg! It turned out the guy was a car park attendant who drove 1 mile to work on choke (carburettor in those days) parked car till lunchtime, drove home again on choke then back to work till evening and then back home on choke! It was only after we got him to do a long journey that he was convinced of what we were saying.
I only rely on mpg figures when I fill to the brim, drive for 100 plus miles, fill to brim again with car in same position at pumps, level ground etc. then check miles exactly and convert litres to gallons etc.:)

Air and fuel temps will have a effect this time of year, as will the use you put it to..

Often there are several options of wheels and tyres also,

What did you have before..?
Driving style will play a part

My 56 mpg car gets 42 with my son and 35 with the O. H. 🤔

My 06 plate 1.9 jtd returns around 45mpg from my daily commute (4 x 10mile journeys). I'm looking to get something newer and the 1.6 auto diesel supposedly returns mid 50s whereas the petrol version is mid 30s. I've looked at other marques but none of them seem to be able to match the 1.6 diesel - and I'm getting to an age where I just fancy an automatic as that's what I drive for work)

Personally I love driving automatic vehicles in general, however I feel when they do go wrong you need a deeper pocket.
They have come along way from when I started in the motortrade when it was Borg Warner 35 etc and ideally you needed the power of a Jag or V8 Rover to benefit, cars like Austin A60s I remember thinking I could walk faster than some when pulling up hills. I then worked at a Mazda Dealership and driving new 1.6 Mazda 818 Autos, I was greatly impressed, later CVTs in cars less so, one of my customers ended up scrapping his Daihatsu Terios and my sister who had a Ford Fiesta from new and dealer serviced was told by them many years ago that the repair would cost more than the value of the vehicle at 60k miles. She has ran several Honda Jazz's with no problems to date also I believe CVT.
Modern autos are mostly ECU controlled and better designed , but looking at the number of threads on Forum are not totally reliable.
Maybe other on Forum can give their experiences.:)

Back