Technical Looking at buying a Grande Punto!

Currently reading:
Technical Looking at buying a Grande Punto!

fiatcity12

Hi guys,

Looking at buying my first car and found a good deal on a 58 Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 Dynamic Sport. Done 51k.

Went and had a look at it and it all seems fine, took it for a test drive, just had an MOT and new tyres etc.

I am just wary about the dualogic gearbox, have read some horror stories on the web. Seemed fine when driving around but as I say who knows.

Can anyone put my mind at ease and suggest anything I can do to test the gearbox further or is it just pure luck, would you all say stay away completely?

Many thanks,
Dec

I've got same car with same gearbox. Personally I love mine. Had it a year and only issue had was blown fuse (thought gearbox or hydraulic had gone as car wouldn't moved). Its probably same has lot of cars, pot luck. Just remember you need to press the brake to go into reverse and first gear (sometimes neutral). Just make sure it's had cam belt change and make sure gets a service (they usually tell you it had and they don't do it). Id change gears yourself, has mine is murder for not knowing which gear I want (when nearly stopped). You get that on manual if don't know yourself which gear you would like.

Last edited:
I have exactly the same car but 56 plate. i love my gearbox but i have been having a few gremlins with it recently, nothing major but the niggles i have are a bit annoying. i would really recommend the dualogic if you feel that the box is in okay nick, if you have any worries that the box may be on its way out then walk away as they aren't cheap to have repaired by the stealers ;) Good car other than that though so don't hesitate if you like it! :)

Bound to be horror stories on About them as nobody goes online and makes a thread about how reliable their gearbox is.

Personally I'd avoid it, my mam has had a panda from new with that gearbox on and its intermittently refused to go into gear since new, it eventually packed in completely at a mere 60k miles. Clunky gear changes too and likes to ride the clutch in 2nd instead of changing down.

I have a grande punto and the build quality is pretty bad, at 38k miles I found it had the common rushed bulkhead problem causing it to leak, it also needed a new steering column at the same time.. Fiat couldn't care a less but luckily I'm a trained mechanic so sorted it myself.. I do like my grande punto but build quality and customer care are pretty awful.. I'll not be buying another

Last edited:
Cheers for the replies lads, the gearbox seems fine as i say from the test drive and I suppose your right Alex in that only people with the serious problems will bother telling anyone about them!

LordFox, do you have an idea of a price? just out of interest, will factor it into my decision.

I really do like the car and the idea of the dualogic. Will need to mull it over a bit more.

The way I look it at it is, its my first car and spending this kind of money (less than 1.6k) means I could be buying a car that despite MOT's and everything else could go at any moment. Just all a matter of pot luck but of course I would like to get a car that I will enjoy driving and will be reliable for a while at least until I can get more experience and money to upgrade.

Last edited:
Its personal choice and pot luck with cars. I had a focus and was in the garage more than out and know people who had same car no issues. Just do a car check on it.

Has for gear unavailable this is usually down to trying go into a gear car doesn't like at that speed (so I found). I'd have another one.

Build quality could be better but if been looked after and you look after it ita a nice drive/car.

Dual logic is basically a manual gearbox with a hydraulic clutch. Just more to repair due to hydraulic does the clutch instead of you.

Last edited:
Cheers cobalt for the reply.

By car check, outside of all the usual things is their anything specific you would check?

Do a car check I.e rac car check. Check the small breather house (known to come loose). Ask about cam belt see if been done and when. Not sure what else but doing a search will help. Know the back door handles can stick from outside that's common

The going into gear problem on my mams was when reversing off the drive, stopping and going into first. I replaced the gearbox myself and the problem is still there as are the not so great gear changes.

Look into the rusty bulkhead issue too on the grande punto they didn't make the windscreen drain properly it eventually rusts and pours into the cabin.. Most will probably be affected by now and I reckon most probably don't realise.

Forgot to say my gearbox started whining at 50k miles and is still whinging now, just louder lol

And yeah some of it is luck but some cars are more prone to issues than others.. If the gearbox goes you can expect to shell out the same again to what you paid for the car, I've had flats for years and used to be the first to sing their praises but I'm a bit fed up with mine and fiat now :( this is an owners forum though so you're bound to get people telling you to go for it, just trying to help from my own experiences

Last edited:
Ah yes, will do a HPI asap and ok cheers mate will have a quick search and see what that is and then I know what im looking for haha and will enquire about the cam belt!

Alex, Ok mate will have a look at that! and ah haha, I didn't hear any whining on the test drive but difficult to judge off a quick spin. Yeah, I see where your coming from and thank you for your help. Decisions decisions.

If the box ever did go I would likely just move on, my dad in his younger days was a mechanic and we know plenty of people now so the cost may not be too bad but if it was as you say the same price as the car I am likely moving on haha!

Last edited:
Cheers for the replies lads, the gearbox seems fine as i say from the test drive and I suppose your right Alex in that only people with the serious problems will bother telling anyone about them!

LordFox, do you have an idea of a price? just out of interest, will factor it into my decision.

I really do like the car and the idea of the dualogic. Will need to mull it over a bit more.

The way I look it at it is, its my first car and spending this kind of money (less than 1.6k) means I could be buying a car that despite MOT's and everything else could go at any moment. Just all a matter of pot luck but of course I would like to get a car that I will enjoy driving and will be reliable for a while at least until I can get more experience and money to upgrade.

I got quoted £1000 for the Dualogic unit alone which sits on top of a regular manual gearbox. That's without labour, this is a worst case scenario if it is screwed beyond repair which mine might be at 40k... Honestly though dont let my experience put you off as it was a good box. I think the leak I have has screwed it up as the windscreen washer was leaking into the Dualogic unit for a solid two months before I noticed it.

Back