lol...

Currently reading:
lol...

My bag just fell off my bed and one of the arms caught the pendrive in the side of my laptop, ripping the pendrive plug from the PCB and putting it beyond repair. The funny thing about the story? My automatic back up software for my pendrive failed on thursday and I was yet to fix it, thus 3-4 days of my dissertation, skills acquired report, IChemE training guide, A0 poster and IChemE publication report has been lost including all the work I took a day off from work to do.

F-ing hilarious. I was as careful as possible bar the last few days and then that happens. As you can imagine, I have had better moments in my life :(

i feel your pain.

had a similar thing happen to me, luckily for once in my entire three years i turned up to a tutorial with a draft of my lit review, intro and methodology so all i had to do is retype it back in.

i have 3 HD's, PPC and a pen drive each now with a copy of the work. the only problem now is to remember to update each version everytime!

hope you can get summats sorted, is it worth going to student support to see if they can help you at all?

My bag just fell off my bed and one of the arms caught the pendrive in the side of my laptop, ripping the pendrive plug from the PCB and putting it beyond repair. The funny thing about the story? My automatic back up software for my pendrive failed on thursday and I was yet to fix it, thus 3-4 days of my dissertation, skills acquired report, IChemE training guide, A0 poster and IChemE publication report has been lost including all the work I took a day off from work to do.

F-ing hilarious. I was as careful as possible bar the last few days and then that happens. As you can imagine, I have had better moments in my life :(

is it the laptop port thats broken or just the pendrive usb part from the pcb?
if its just the USB adapter then it may be solderable
post up pics paul

I am just sitting here in stunned silence, the pendrive is totally finished, part of the PCB is on the plug, the rest of it remains with the chips. The reason why I have to use a pendrive so often is I work on work laptop, work desktop, home desktop and home laptop, my home laptop makes a wireless back up to my desktop every 30 minutes and my desktop makes a back up to my external HDD every 5 minutes, I take it seriously! But that all relies on that f-ing piece of software working each time I plug in my pendrive. It also means I am less protected if I work on anything at work since typically at work I don't copy things onto the HDD before working, just work on the pendrive.

I put in so much effort since wednesday and I have barely anything to show for it now and I have to redo a load of work i've already had to push hard to do.

I even work on a versions system now where I copy something onto the PC I am working on, use it, update the version number and then copy it back, but it still had the weak link and I didn't spot it. I am going to have a drink.

Cheers you two :(

Sorry to hear this....I hate pen drives and avoid then where possible.Manufacturers just don't seem to make them durable enough. :(

Do you have a copy of the work on your laptop hard drive?

I just looked at it more closely, it has ripped 3/4 data pins (I am guessing) tracks totally off the PCB, the two outside pins are still there but there's nothing I can do (i've just given it another look) the main chip on it has numerous legs and they have all been lifted off the PCB and bugger, i just noticed the main main main main chip on the back (probably the memory) has about 10 legs ripped off the board due to the bending. It's 100% finished no doubt about it.

Sorry to hear this....I hate pen drives and avoid then where possible.Manufacturers just don't seem to make them durable enough. :(

Do you have a copy of the work on your laptop hard drive?

Only to an extent, possibly lost 3-4 days work, I have spent the whole placement year being so careful with all my work then when I start to get stressed about it i make a mistake with backups and lose it. It could be worse, it could be all my work, but that doesn't console me right now :(

I just wish I had been more careful with my stupid bag, it only did it since I took a load of resource books home from work on thursday and hadn't taken them out :( It weighed a tonne.

Is there a data recovery place near you? There are places out there that can get data off even the most severely damaged drives.....it jsn't cheap though.:(

aye paul im afraid its pretty bad.those chip legs are a mare to resolder and then you have the problem of heat transfer to the chip.
i can put you in contact with a pro solderer but TBH the costs and likelyhood of a dead drive make it risky
It's a dead loss, I am already aware of that, I got semi-excited when I first did it that I could just solder the socket back on but there's so much damage on the whole thing there's no way. I've ordered a new pendrive - I can't live without one given the type of work I have to do - but I guess it's just one of those moments when you either give up or get up and do it again. The dissertation alone is the biggest project I have done in my life let alone all the other bits - the skills acquired report has to be a similar length to my dissertation.

I think I am just going to work until I fall asleep to try and see what I can rescue to get back to where I was. I'll start at my IChemE chartership training manual, I know I wrote up my business trips and the tours I received on them...

Tell me about it :( This year has been so difficult I can't even put it into words anymore, my friends and I are all just lost right now since we have had to put in 110% since October or so and that's a long time to not have had a break. I've taken 11 days annual leave this year, all but 1 day has been for uni work!

My eye flickers, I got RSI 2-3 weeks ago and now this....I am on my way to bodging it to how it was, but it's not the same is it.

New day though today, and it's sunny. But now I regret ordering a 2gb memory card and paying for next day delivery, why?!

Cheers everybody.

Is 2 weeks to get a draft dissertation, SAR, logbook, A0 poster, IChemE publication and IChemE training manual like a tomorroe deadline?!

Back