Off Topic Living on the edge :)

Currently reading:
Off Topic Living on the edge :)

ahmett

Prominent member
ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1393953987.551455.jpg

So you’ve run out of petrol? Good. That means Greek roads are safer until you’ve filled her up again. :)

Those pretty little yellow symbols aren't just for show, Ahmett.

That one on the left that looks like a Martian with its d**k in its ear will at least deprive you of the excuse of ignorance if you have to complete your journey by walking.

If you really want to live on the edge, try doing this in a helicopter.

Last edited:
Guys, an empty tank means your fuel pump is no longer being cooled. Which you should want to avoid. Then again, why should I care?

A big issue in warmer climates during the summer, not so much when it's cooler. Good point though :)

So you’ve run out of petrol? Good. That means Greek roads are safer until you’ve filled her up again. :)

you know ive never pushed it much further than that but even with no lights I still think you have a good 2 liters left in the tank maybe even 4 liters total if you include the fuel in the pumps/engine. Maybe that's what they mean by fuel reserve? When all the lights go off 5 liters left I the whole system?

Last edited:
Most fuel gauges and fuel warning lights are deliberately 'pessimistic' to give drivers plenty of opportunity to refuel. I agree that there is still fuel after lights and gauges have stopped indicating anything- but that is life on the edge...

you know ive never pushed it much further than that but even with no lights I still think you have a good 2 liters left in the tank maybe even 4 liters total if you include the fuel in the pumps/engine. Maybe that's what they mean by fuel reserve? When all the lights go off 5 liters left I the whole system?

I've pushed it further.... at the very most there is 2l of fuel left after the last segment goes out and then the car stops.......

Years ago I had a Peugeot 205 GTi, all the gauges were vague at best,
I was on a country road miles from anywhere, the fuel gauge hit empty, the warning light went out, and about 40kms later when I did refill there was still about 5l in the tank -if you believe the instruments ....

Why not, when it gets down to a quarter tank, just fill up then it rids you of all the speculation and tension about will I won't I run out of fuel???

Last edited:
Why not, when it gets down to a quarter tank, just fill up then it rids you of all the speculation and tension about will I won't I run out of fuel???

Problem is the tank is so small it goes down to quarter tank far too quickly! So I just fill up as little as I can. I mainly drive in the town so there is always a petrol station within a few miles if I really need to stop for fuel.

I generally fill up when there are a couple of litres left, once you're used to it there's no tension :)

I generally fill up when there are a couple of litres left, once you're used to it there's no tension :)

Yes Exactly, unless I have to do a long journey I don't even think about filling up until I hear the buzzer (low fuel).

1/4 of a tank! All the edges in your life must be seriously rounded off ;)

1/4 of a tank! All the edges in your life must be seriously rounded off ;)

You know its funny, many people in Greece are cash players and think in the short term. So many actually just put 20 euros of fuel at a time and refuel the tank pretty much daily in some cases so in that case most people don't have more than a 1/4 in their cars at any time!

Played the fuel game a few times now. Last time was a long motorway trip, cruise at 55 - 60 to keep econemy up. Got to the petrol station and filled it back up. Then car wouldn't start! I did the bleed cycle for 5 minutes (much to the annoyance of the people behind me!) and still nothing, left it to bleed it self a bit longer as I could hear some fluid movement and I was off, guessing i'd emptied the tank and some of the fuel lines! :rolleyes: Doubt i'll let it go quite that low again!

Back