Technical Limping 16VT

Currently reading:
Technical Limping 16VT

jeff cheong

Hi guys,

Nice little forum you have got going here. Just quickly, everytime I brake to decelerate to standstill, I hear a nasty noise emanating from the rear of my car. Cant really pin point the exact sound. Not exactly a grind nor a knocking sound nor a whine but more like really hot water boiling and sloshing around. It continues for a while at standstill then as I accelerate again, it tapers off. havet got time to get it checked out yet, which explains why Im drivign around like an old fart in case its something serious. Whats your take on this guys?

Very odd. The only thing I can think of is the petrol vapour recirculation valve that you can hear. You can sometimes hear a noise which sounds a bit like a distant fog-horn on my 20VT which is down to this.

SpunkyM...
Fiat Coupe 20VT, Bailey DV, K&N panel, PBV @ 1.1bar.

Hi Spunky,

Yup, could detect a faint fog horn-like sound as you describe,but that occurs only occasionaly. Does it mean the valve is busted or something? Had poured a can of fuel injector cleaner in the other day, but I doubt that can stuff up the fuelling system right? Actually, on closer detection, the sound that I described in my earlier thread seems metalic, and yeah, kinda like metal grinding evertyime I depress the brake. It carries on for a while after the car moves and tapers off..... strange but true.

Edited by - jeff cheong on 11/04/2002 03:53:52

.......Jeff.....maybe it is your rear calipers.....are they partailly seized.....so that upon braking, then accelerating, they are still a bit "on"...hence you hear a small grinding noise.....or is it just that your pads are nearly worn out ?.....just a guess......

Taz

20V Turbo LE

Well in that case I'm almost certain that Taz is correct. You need to strip your rear brakes down and check the amount of pad you have left. Also give them a good clean and re-grease with copper grease.

Oh yeh - the foghorn sound is normal, nothing to worry about.

SpunkyM...
Fiat Coupe 20VT, Bailey DV, K&N panel, PBV @ 1.1bar.

Back