Technical Lights flashing while car is parked, flat battery.......

Currently reading:
Technical Lights flashing while car is parked, flat battery.......

palmydays

Hi all,
A friend has a Fiat 500, this morning she was told by a neighbour that her lights had been flashing (I believe head/tail lights) while the car was parked. She went to start the car, battery was pretty flat. I went out to have a look, jumped the car which started easily. She took it for a 16 miles drive to boost the battery (I would have suggested a bit further but it all helps). She just messaged to say neighbour reports lights flashing again.
Has anyone come across this issue? Any suggestions?
Regards,
Dave.

Is the car fitted with an alarm?

In the old days, thieves would bump cars to see if they have alarms. It also happens when you leave a mobile phone inside a locked car, somehow the reception interferes and triggers the alarm.

Is the car fitted with an alarm?

In the old days, thieves would bump cars to see if they have alarms. It also happens when you leave a mobile phone inside a locked car, somehow the reception interferes and triggers the alarm.
It is not an alarm issue, that would be indicators and the alarm sounding. This is the headlights and tail lights only, they reset if you use the fob but once the car has stood locked or unlocked the lights come on again. :/

Sounds a weird one.

I'm going to say "check the wiring harness inside the rubber gaitor to the bootlid".. since that seems to cause half of 500's electrical issues.

Also check the earth strap from the battery to the inner wing. Completely remove it and test it for internal corrosion (if you flex it a bit it shouldn't make any rustling/creaking/cracking sounds) as well as clean contact areas.

While you have the negative lead disconnected leave it disconnected for an hour so that the car's brains can all re-set themselves. Clean the battery post with emery paper etc. not wire wool since it catches fire if you short it . 🤪⚡💥🔥

Once it's all back together, see what current draw there is. You'll need to measure the amps into the battery... it will never be zero.. but if you remove one fuse at a time (then replace it before removing the next one) you might be able to see a variation in the amps being drawn. You want to find a fuse that drops the amps significantly... that's going to narrow you down onto the culprit.

It could be condensation in the Body Control Module causing a short.. BCM is just a PCB inside a plastic box.. but it sits under the dashboard and could get any leak or moisture forming on it, especially in the current weather. Get an electric heater into the car footwell and blow warm air up under the dashboard (left/passenger side for 500's BCM??) but not enough to melt anything plastic, so that it helps it dry out. You could remove the BCM if it feels wet or damp and dry it on the kitchen table.. but if it seems reasonably dry, it's a bit of trouble. Heater will do as a start.

Ralf S.

Back