life in the old xbox(ish)

Currently reading:
life in the old xbox(ish)

okay so M$ and most games companies have shifted foucus to the 360 over xbox.

however there is one exception here.
the modding/hacking community

xbox media cente is still heavily supported,softmods are heavily supported and chips are still available.
chip bios dev' has slowed(stopped?) but since M$ seem to have lost interest then little is needed here.

we have weekly releases of XBMC builds with the recent release of V2.0.1 stable and plenty of upgrades weekly

skin development is still big again with XBMC the mose prominent/supported

heres just some of last weeks

04_26_47_mc360_thumb3.jpg

yes thats not a 360 ;)
blackbolt_classic_thumb3_s300.jpg

now these are not just basic skins but full menu integration.

i could write for hours on XBMC.love it and the 'scene' mentality where its free and heavily supported for free and a lot of hours of peoples time goes into it.

theres little that XBMC cannot play,links below give oyu an idea.
the only thing ive found that i can recall that XBMC wouldnt play was FLAC audio but with a codec that would be solved.

anyone looking for a cheap media centre for under the TV would be pushed to beat XBMC for features/cost(well equipment costs)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBMC
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/
http://www.xbmcscripts.com/

all true, can you guess what my xbox does? Sits on top of the sky+ box running xbmc. It is the reason why i bought the xbox in the first place, i wanted a cheap PC to play media and then i spotted what an xbox can do. 4 years later, still doing its job.

is XBMC still on the on xbins ftp?

aye still there arc.if you havent updated in a while then you will like v2.0.1 and newer.its become very polished and feature packed.
if your using a fairly old build i would just delete it all and do a fresh install as old builds can cause issues.
also read the read me files for .xbe changes

what would the potential problems be if i was to put an soft modded xbox in my car? and am i righ in thinking that if i get an av splitter that i can then run it through a headunit as an aux?

also is there any "sound" places i can get one... and is there any chance someone / people can give their honest opinions....

(y)

well..

Running from a variable DC supply, where the voltage could effectively be anywhere between 6 and 14v

Running with a multitude of Screens?

Running through an amplified headunit,

Being disassembled (out of the box) and reassembled in a car in a gap somewhere?

well start from what i know.
xbox is a pc basically.
you have a motherboard,dvd drive,PSU & hard drive.so these can be mounted whatever way considering cooling/vibration.
also IDE cables dont like being too long with voltage loss.
voltages well i would want a stable voltage.
the xbox has 12v and 5v feeds to the motherboard but i would perhaps consider and invertor to give it full 220-240v.
xbox supplis an AV signal so whatever you do with it afterwards is irrelivant.
screens well same stands but it can only be one signal so no dual output

ive tried PM'ing, and the classifieds lol. but people either have full inbox's or dont reply lol.

(sorry)

anyway.

is the XBMC user interface thati keep reading about.. is it user designed? so i could make my own (picture wallpaper?)

hmm im really tempted to try softmodding my xbox but im scared i'll break it :eek: and dont have money for a chip or anything :(

Ditto.... but my bro knicked mine lol... and my 360 lol.. then disapeared.. that was 9 months ago.. not even the local Plods have seen him.. so ive given up waiting for them back.

ive tried PM'ing, and the classifieds lol. but people either have full inbox's or dont reply lol.

(sorry)

anyway.

is the XBMC user interface thati keep reading about.. is it user designed? so i could make my own (picture wallpaper?)

it is possible to do skins and a new skining prog is in thew works though its not as simple as just adding a jpg.the menus etc are interactive.
you have RSS feeds,weather,backgrouds changing via menu selection etc

Ditto.... but my bro knicked mine lol... and my 360 lol.. then disapeared.. that was 9 months ago.. not even the local Plods have seen him.. so ive given up waiting for them back.

Ouch :(

Custard: Have you heard of 'Pwned' on the softmod scene? its his method im 50/50 wether to try, just the unplugging IDE cables while xbox running scares me :eek:

Back