General leaking petrol

Currently reading:
General leaking petrol

jackyalex

petrol is leaking from a pipe near the rear drivers side wheel , it seemes to be coming out of the pipe at where it joins onto (at a guess) the fuel pump but its hard to tell, will it be the fuel pump ? if so do you know what im looking to pay at a garage for a new one please help

That's the fuel filter...easy job to fix.
Filter should cost in the region of £7 from a local motor factors...think I got my last one from Wilco.
To fit it you can get the clip on pipes off with a pair of pliers and some fiddling.
Make sure you put the new filter on the right way round!!!
You might find that the bracket that holds the filter in place has disintegrated...I made a hand bracket using cable ties.

That's the fuel filter...easy job to fix.
Filter should cost in the region of £7 from a local motor factors...think I got my last one from Wilco.
To fit it you can get the clip on pipes off with a pair of pliers and some fiddling.
Make sure you put the new filter on the right way round!!!
You might find that the bracket that holds the filter in place has disintegrated...I made a hand bracket using cable ties.

hi crabbo , is the fuel filter at the rear of a 1997 punto ?, i thought it was under the bonnet , it seems to drip when im driving and stops about 10 mins after ive stopped , its in the garage in the morning , i just didnt want to get ripped off, is it worth me going and getting an air filter and try that first ? thanks jacky

air filter is under the bonnet, so isnt your problem the fuel filter lives in the rear drivers side wheel arch and is prone to rotting through and leaking petrol so is very likely your candidate, from what i remember fuel pump lives in the tank so shouldnt be that.

Fuel Filter on mk1 Punto is drivers side near rear wheel...up until the later (after 97) models which had a filter inbuilt to the pump in the tank.
It'll be the fuel filter...most mk1 have this at some point.

Ive noticed in the past week or so, that there is a smell or petrol on the outside of my car when ive driven it, earlier on there were drips on the floor on the drivers side, is it likely that the fuel filter is my problem? Its a 1998 mk1 punto

I think you can be pretty sure it the filter, read the other posts on fuel filter most start with a smell of petrol, just be very careful when changing that you dont pull on the pipe leading towards back of car ,,,its attatched to fuel pump and can break off at small pipe there , if you do that theres no safe fix beyong replacing fuel pump

Back