£729 quote and i'm 18 :)

Currently reading:
£729 quote and i'm 18 :)

I knew about this beforehand... Thanks for the links though, but i can't afford £2000 insurance as stated in the links.. I really need a car though, i go to work, 6th form and have a girl "friend" 20 miles away , i've spoken to my parents about it and it's sorted..

As john point's out It's not sorted.

Unless the car is in your mums name too (as in she's the owner AND keeper) and she drives it more than you then your uninsured and may as well cancel the insurance and drive around with none.

Hang on a minute. I cant think of an Algorythm that makes a fronted person a scummer because you pay higher premiums. Statistically fronted people are less likely to claim.
The reason why the price of other peoples premiums go up is down to the money grabing insurance companies. They know they are missing out on a few quid so bump up prices to pay more dividends to share holders. This is standard business practice for any Plc and they would use something else if fronting didnt exist.
You cant blame 17-18 year olds for that. And why should they care about your premium. it may put £20 on your premium. It puts £2300 on theirs.

Unfortunately it is the backwardness of runing companies that causes problems. Be pissed at plc not the poor kids trying to get mobile.

The fact legal premiums cost more doesn't make it right. It's still illegal.

I did it when I was 17-18 but at least I had the good sense to 'sell' the car to my parent so they were the owner on the log book :rolleyes:.

I love it when people jump on somebody without reading the thread. He hasnt actually said he is on the log book. Infact he said its all in his mums name. ;)
When i say im going home or my house, that doesnt mean i own it.

Last edited:
I love it when people jump on somebody without reading the thread. He hasnt actually said he is on the log book. Infact he said its all in his mums name. ;)
When i say im going home or my house, that doesnt mean i own it.

And yet his OP states quite clearly "I'm 18, own a black 1.2 punto standard, and i managed to wittle my insurance down to £729...

Heres how:
Instead of using my dad with full no claims, i changed it to my mam being the main driver and policy holder etc.. i put me as second driver. I did this through Aviva's website and managed to get this policy on the go.

A few mates have been getting £1000 and £800 for clio's etc.. worth a try guys!"

Saying "my house" implies some sort of ownership - whether that be mortgaged or rented.

Last edited:
I'll give you an insurance tip, Do it the other way round Make you the main driver and your mum a named driver, this does actually lower your insurance (not too much) but my dad knew about this tip and he's been the named driver on my policy for years also its handy if you need your car driven or if there's brakes down :D

I'll give you an insurance tip, Do it the other way round Make you the main driver and your mum a named driver, this does actually lower your insurance (not too much) but my dad knew about this tip and he's been the named driver on my policy for years also its handy if you need your car driven or if there's brakes down :D

Thats what I did, first year I did it my mum saved me £100. This year she put it up £2 for some reason lol.

In post 12 you said you were a sensible driver.
I am pointing out that you are not the only person on the road, I have 30+ years of blame free motoring but I have still put in a few claims over the years - the last one only went in my favour thanks to the dash cam.

In post 36 your last comment was "I'm not doing anything wrong", it seems a few would beg to differ.

Sorry to go off topic but since the OP wants it closed then oh well.
Has your dash cam actually led to a stupid or bad driver being convicted? Because I've seen some ridiculous stuff done and lethal near misses and would love to be able to hand in some footage to the police. :D

Not without a load of agro first though. I was shunted back in November, the day before I was due to part-ex my car.

To avoid delays I paid my xs upfront knowing I'd get it back as it clearly wasn't my fault. Just as well I did, still waiting!!

3rd party is disputing, apparently while stationary waiting to turn left i changed lanes and cut him up. Just waiting now for the court date as the notice period set by my insurance has expired.

These companies will do anything to avoid paying, or maybe deferring paying until their new financial year. Bar-stewards.

That's a different situation to the 3rd party's policy being void.

Thats what I did, first year I did it my mum saved me £100. This year she put it up £2 for some reason lol.

There we go the thread delivers,
We've just saved the young'uns £100 a year, to go towards alcopops or plant food or what ever kids are into nowadays
dunno.gif

That's a different situation to the 3rd party's policy being void.

Yeah, I realise that. :rolleyes:

Was making a point that insurers will try anything to wriggle out of paying, even when the result is inevitable. Meanwhile the innocent party suffers unnecessary inconvenience and agro.

And yet his OP states quite clearly "I'm 18, own a black 1.2 punto standard, and i managed to wittle my insurance down to £729...

Heres how:
Instead of using my dad with full no claims, i changed it to my mam being the main driver and policy holder etc.. i put me as second driver. I did this through Aviva's website and managed to get this policy on the go.

A few mates have been getting £1000 and £800 for clio's etc.. worth a try guys!"

Saying "my house" implies some sort of ownership - whether that be mortgaged or rented.

I think your reading it a little to literally. I used to say "my car" when i was being fronted way back when. I paid for the car and assumed ownership although my mum was on the log book.
Hence my comment about the house. I say "my house" but i live at home still with the rents.

Going off topic a little, due to my problems im sposed to be the one that doesnt get the deeper meaning in literal sentences but that simply isnt true.

Okay some people still aren't understanding this situation...

Sludgeguts, my mam is on the logbook shes the policy holder, and is registered to the vehicle, in NO WAY am i associated with this car, except from being a named driver. Thats that out of the way so we can forget that, secondly, i've clearly stated in many posts that it has been sorted, you don't need to know all the ins and outs of the policy.
I'm not fronting anymore, and i'd like to thank the people who posted here for the advice and tips about it all.... :)

PS - GrandeGuy, we don't all do drugs and drink exessively ( bad spelling) .. rather stereotypical?

my mam is on the logbook shes the policy holder, and is registered to the vehicle, in NO WAY am i associated with this car, except from being a named driver.
Either that is untrue or your first post is untrue.

Your first post made it clear that the car is owned by you, but put into your mother's name specifically to obtain cheaper insurance. If that is true, then the criminal offence of conspiracy to defraud has been committed.

If your first post was true then by saying that you are no longer associated with the car just continues the offence. Which means a bigger penalty if caught.

If your first post is true, and you are investigated, you and your mother will interviewed under caution about the details of who bought the car, where the money came from, why it was put in your mothers name and a whole load of other things that I won't reveal here. If there are discrepancies between the answers that the two of you give, you will both end up in court for a far more serious offence than no insurance.

With the current pressure on insurance prices and the increasing amount of insurance fraud - which includes you and your mother if your first post was true - more and more cases are being investigated. We are seeing a steady increase in this sort case reaching court.

If your first post was true I suggest you get your mother to read this thread and warn her that she is at risk of a criminal conviction with a real possibility of a jail sentence if the two of you persist with this fraud.

I never lied in my first post, when i say "own" i don't mean that I own the car, i just say that i drive the car, i'm simply a named driver with no association with the policy etc... PLUS as i've said umpteen times, my mam has driven the car more than me..

People are taking this way to literally.. Anyway i know what I've done and it's sorted, so this topic can end.

Everyone is welcome, i don't personally know anyone on here. Every car forum will pick at your insurance situation, i don't personally care whether you're fronting or legit, i'd rather warn people of what will happen if you were to be involved in a crash whether it's your fault or not. You claimed very cheap insurance for an 18 year old, that's asking for a roasting! Good on you for insuring in your own name though.. if you have :)

When i was paying £1200 i hated it, but now i understand why.. now three years ncb and fully comp and i'm better off than all my friends that still front their insurance.

A nice welcome into the community i see.
What kind of reaction did you expect?
Your first post made it clear that you and your mother are breaking the law to such an extent that, if caught, a custodial sentence in excess of 6 months is highly likely.

The rest of us could have said nothing. We could have made efforts to ID you, tell the police and get an uninsured driver off the road. We didn't. You got useful and accurate advice.

There is no reason for your first post to be anything but true. Why would anybody post lies about that sort of thing. There is every reason for your later posts to be inaccurate as you frantically try to hide just how daft you were to fiddle your insurance and then boast about it.

Back