General Latest Little Project.

Currently reading:
General Latest Little Project.

20161213_185730.jpg

Ah, the usual rot in the usual places.
I take it you'll be fitting plastic rear arch liners after you've sorted out the holes.
Yeah I was looking into that last night. I've messaged I guy who was selling a couple that he never fitted.
Any other suggestions where I can get them from and prices?

Cheers

The guy who was selling was probably going to scrap it. Nice guy he had owned it for 18years, but when it failed the mot on a rotten rear axle and mounting areas he felt he could justify the repair cost. It drives lovely and is in great condition. Welded the chassis today, ordered a good second hand axle, new springs, shocks and bushes.

the guy who was selling was probably going to scrap it. Nice guy he had owned it for 18years, but when it failed the mot on a rotten rear axle and mounting areas he felt he could justify the repair cost. It drives lovely and is in great condition. Welded the chassis today, ordered a good second hand axle, new springs, shocks and bushes.
20161215_145642.jpg20161215_145648.jpg20161215_145652.jpg

Are they the rare speedline wheels fitted? Looks like you are going to change them?

Well done for rescuing the Cinq
Yes they are the Speedlines. Think they're the ones fitted to Abarth spec cars? Maybe those who know could confirm.
Think I'll be going back to standard Sporting wheels.[emoji4]

Mines gone in the rear beam mounting area aswell.
Was it an easy fix? What's underneath? I've not even looked properly. Focusing on getting it rolling again.

Check for rust under the battery and wiper motor whilst the welder is out, I've found some nice holes there too, easy to sort when it's stripped, maybe not so much when the carpet and all the gubbins is fitted

Don't get rid of the Speedline wheels!! There nice wheels.

Mines gone in the rear beam mounting area aswell.
Was it an easy fix? What's underneath? I've not even looked properly. Focusing on getting it rolling again.

Check for rust under the battery and wiper motor whilst the welder is out, I've found some nice holes there too, easy to sort when it's stripped, maybe not so much when the carpet and all the gubbins is fitted

Don't get rid of the Speedline wheels!! There nice wheels.
Hi mate.

Obviously to do the best job the beam needs to come off. Which isn't very hard to do. Biggest problem I had was undoing the front to rear metal brake pipes where they go into the rear brake hoses on top of the beam. You might find that if your not carefull you will twist and snap the actual metal brake pipe because the unions seize onto the pipe and access is hard. The way I got around this was to drop the beam as much as i could with the pipes still attached and rest it on stands/jack you can then get to it better from the top. I then took the clip off the brake hoses and undid the brake hoses from the unions instead of the other way round. Hope that makes sense. Also take the trailing arms off first as the beam is alot lighter and easier to support/manoeuvre with them removed.

Once the beam is off you can then have a good poke around at the mounting areas, access is good and all areas can be welded from either underneath or through the wheel arches.

My beam is knackered/rotten so I'm putting a good second hand one on after refurbing it. I'm also replacing brake hoses, springs and shocks. So totally rebuilding the whole area. Should be good for years to come, so hopefully no major nasty surprises at MOTs. Also going to do the trailing arm bushes, so no more 'Cinq rear end knock' for me ?

It's one of those jobs where the thought of doing it is actually worse than doing it. Once you get stuck in, take your time after its done you'll be chuffed.

Will post pics updates as I go.

Christmas came early for me today.
Rear Beam/axle, rear springs, rear shocks, rear brake hoses all arrived and I picked up the rear plastic inner arch protectors.
Might be sad but I doubt my real Christmas Presents will be quite exciting.
Shhhh don't tell the wife ??

Pics of the old rotten beam axle mounting point. New beam axle cleaned and painted same with the trailing arm. New standard springs and shocks. Inner rear arch protectors. All awaiting re assembly

Back