Large Earthquake Flattens Fiat Factory

Currently reading:
Large Earthquake Flattens Fiat Factory

I've had a few twitters saying one of Fiats huge factories in Italy has been flattened by an earthquake this morning, can anyone confirm? Can't find anything online ...

Edit.
Not sure this is in the right place, Leisure Lounge a better place perhaps?

Last edited:
The earthquake was in Northern Italy, isn't Fiats biggest factory in Northern Italy?

Not really sure, just had a few tweets saying "Fiat factory flattened by earthquake".

I hoped someone on here would have heard something by now ...

This is all I can find ..

Fiat SpA's sports-car makers Ferrari SpA, based in Maranello near Modena, and Maserati SpA suspended operations at their factories in the region today, Fiat Chairman John Elkann said. Motorcycle maker Ducati Motor Holding SpA, also based in the region, said on Twitter that the company shut down business after the quake.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...rticlesM4RWIR6TTDS801-M4SFD.DTL#ixzz1wH2h7LaL

From the Wiki list of Fiat Group factories it looks like only Ferrari & Maserati production would be affected, as these have facilities in Modena & Maranello.

The other manufacturing facilities appear to be away from the affected area & many Fiat's including the 500, 500c, Panda Classic, Qubo & Doblo are built outside of Italy.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Fiat_Group_assembly_sites[/ame]

From the photo's i've seen online the factory that collapsed looks like a small local factory. Given that Italy is well-prepared for earthquakes i can't imagine Fiat's factories would've been built without adequate resilience, especially those that produce high-value models like Ferrari & Maserati. The biggest potential interuption to vehicle production would be from smaller parts suppliers that might be based in the affected area & might've suffered from damage to their facilities.

Back