Laptop recomendations please

Currently reading:
Laptop recomendations please

Bhindi

Otherwise known as Claire
Hi

We are now in the market for another laptop as our desktop comp is giving up the ghost, and so we are replacing it with a laptop.

Chris uk came up trumps last time so thought I would repeat the request.

As this is replacing our desktop computer, it will be expected to be able to store approx 2000 songs, a few video clips, and lots of photos, other than that our uses are mainly general browsing, watching youtube clips, video chat on messenger, no gaming.

My partner is wanting i5, and to have 1tb and pref 6gb memory. We are very pleased with the Acer that Chris UK recommended in May, so would like to stay with Acer, but that is the least of our concerns.

So if anyone knows of another bargain out there I would be very greatful. This time round I am hoping to spend region of £600. it would have to be really good to go beyond that,
Many thanks

Claire

Last edited:
i recomend Acer, man i have had my Acer laptop for 5 years and i have put it through hell. it has never failed me. realy, i cant fault it. even after 5 years of torcher and hell the battery still lasts 2.5 to 3 hours no problem. for a laptop that has been opened and closed, powered on and off prety much every day of its life it still runs flawlessly. the screen hinges are still nice and tight the disc drive (HDD and CD) run silently.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...8ZqC_iwyg&sig2=fMfIRbsjqmzaWBHMluGC8A&cad=rja
i do not recomend Dell. i had a dell laptop brfore the acer and from the first day to the last i had nothing but problems. i had the dell tech come out to look at it at least 2 times a month on differnt faults (mostly graphics card).

so from me its acer hands down. if i were to choose a seccond... i would say a Toshiba. My mum runs a toshiba and thats been running fine for the past 6 years. (P200 i think it is)
plays the sims 3 on it and it runs great.

i would use an external hard drive to store your music, pictures and videos on. that way if anything happends to your laptop you still have them on another drive that you can just plug into any computer and recover your data on.

i have a backup of all my computers on a few spare USB hard drives for if one should ever die on me.

hope this helps you out on your search.. good hunting!

Thanks for your post. It's nice to hear your thoughts. We do have an external hard drive where photos and music are backed up onto for the very reason you suggest, however I wish to have these available instantly on my laptop like they have been on my desktop up till now.

Having just spent the last few hours searching, it appears that my desire of £600 is some what naive. The best I have found is £800 on an Acer 5750, but if anyone knows of a bargain I'd be very greatful. Thanks

if i were you guys i would hang back in buying a laptop for a month or 2.. if you didnt know the prices of hard drives have sky rocketed as 2 of the main factorys that make them have been flooded...

have a look here: http://news.techeye.net/hardware/prices-of-hard-drives-continue-to-soar

as soon as the factorys are up and running the prices should drop.

the same thing happend with Yaesu (a radio company) when they got hit by the tsunami in japan. totaly flattend the factory, but now its up an running again the prices have dropped.

something to think on... as it will effect the laptop you are looking at especially if you are looking for a laptop that can hold lots of data...

hope this helps..

^THAT is an EPIC deal. for an i7 CPU thats really good! and the best bit is that is going to be nice and powerfull so it should look at the jobs you want it to do with ease and because its not running at 100% all the time you should get better life out of it. dont forget that in the future the ram and hard drive size can be upgraded if you so wish it.

Thank you all for very helpful replies.

My partner has now told me that he wants to continue to have a desktop comp now, however I am keen to have my own laptop so that Argos one is looking very appealing as I can buy that on a 6 months intrest free deal I believe which could be quite useful.

I will keep you updated.

Claire

Hi folks,

Okay, an order has been placed.... I found this today, and with another 5% of voucher found online, it seemed a brilliant buy at £570

Its got 8gb memory, 1TB hard drive and an i5 processor, so quite a good spec.

No finance available for buying online, but I will use the benefit of a small overdraft thats available that will take out the sting of the purchase.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/acer-aspire-5750-15-6-laptop-11318161-pdt.html

Anyway thank you all for being my sounding board, didn't take your recomendations on this occasion, but its been useful. x

thats a nice laptop. glad you still went for an Acer (y)

my one is the Acer Aspire 3735Z (the intel core 2 duo one. not the AMD one)
it only cost me about £350 from Tesco and its been the toughest PC i have ever used!

one thing you can do with your laptop when you get it.. (and any one else with a windows laptop)

get some clear sticky tape and just put a bit over the windows key on the under side of the laptop. its always the first bit thing to ware off.
if you stick some tape over it, it will last the life of the laptop. so if ever you need to format and reinstall windows you will have a fully readable product key.

do it now... before its too late people!!!!
(sorry couldn't help myself:slayer:)

Last edited:
Back