Language!

Currently reading:
Language!

Morty Mort

NobodyBlamesTheHappyGuy!
As Gene Simmons says: "Well, it´s a dirty job but somebody has got to do it."

Some facts: I´m norwegian. This forum is english.

Still many posts are in a strange language. Example below:

"Thnx so much really appricate it good 2 o ppl still love a gud uno now a days thnx for advice ppl ne websites for those exhausts".

What kind of way is this to write? Shouldn´t school DE-teach things like this?

I guess the forum´s majority is from the UK, but some foreign members are active as well. We are willing to help and participate, but when it gets annoying to read a post, it may get ditched quickly and not answered.

So please write so it is possible to read.

I´m done now. :)

Sincerely, Morten.

I don't think my teachers appreciate it much when I revert to slang and "txt spk" in essays either....maybe everone should just make a conscious effort to fully articulate themselves, that way everyone understands what you're getting at and it'll put you into good habits too!!!

Stuart DemonD said:
Aw Ben, Lora won't speak to you ever again..........
You are correct :)

I understand it was being misused though, as i said in my post on Pauls thread. No way i should have been top.

black_cinq said:
I understand it was being misused though, as i said in my post on Pauls thread. No way i should have been top.
You are right, I apologise now for giving you 8 points in one go! Anyway, being on top is always bad :devil:

Stuart DemonD said:
You are right, I apologise now for giving you 8 points in one go! Anyway, being on top is always bad :devil:
Getting 8 points in one go was fun :D

Paul gave me 6 too :p

Being on top is where u should always be ;)

Except when it means you get hardest work! :p

I just lost out on £1k because I didn't do 4 a levels :( Why oh why did I do further maths then quit?! I could have made a grand :(

Sorry, OT. I try to write properly simply because it means when I am in a position of needing to write properly it's just common habit.

i opoligise for me :devil: langwidge init :)

no i am sorry i do try in serious threads some times i go back and edit a few times when i notice my mistakes.

i was part of a test thing when i started school was taught in ITA it was supposed to be an easier way to teach kids to read, you wrote words as they sounded, it was bit at the time you could even get library books written in ITA, it was scrapped after a few years, but it has confused my brain for ever. thats my excuse any way :)

Dave you offer so much to the forum I don't think anybody would complain about your language!

Thanks for that, 'pghstochaj' - how would that name be spelled in ITA?!

No seriously Paul, it's disturbing that someone could mess with the language in that way and put all those children through the confusion.

I've never had a problem myself with spelling words 'as they sound'. You just choose the letters based on rules you worked out at an early age. These people that moan about inconsistencies obviously never quite worked out those rules. The strange thing is that people that know English as a second language seem to have taught themselves the rules very well.

About TXT language: I don't think it helps much. People still don't bother to get the point across quickly. I've seen countless cases where the recipient had no idea what the message meant, all because one word had been 'saved'.

snow 2morrow U comin 2 aye

could have much more useful as:

Call me if you're coming snowboarding tomorrow

Shortened to (?):
Call me if UR coming snowbdng 2morrow

Notice how the first message gave no indication of any action being required. The other party sits around waiting for a response, while the recipient doesn't think it's necessary to reply!

"Just my two cents" as the Americans say.

-Alex

Sorry I seem to have missed this. As a supposed 'yoof' myself I'm not a fan of this txtspk stuff, it makes it very hard for me to read and understand. Like Stu I don't even use it on my phone and very rarely on chat. Spelling grammar and punctuation are important for meaning and tone (which is hard enough to pin down on the net as it is), not saying we should all be perfect because millions of people in this country were let down by the school system and have little idea of this but we should make an effort so the forum is accessible to all :).

ben said:
Could enforce a ban of txt speak, might help?

Can we? It would help...

I understand 'txt spk' , but it must be really annoying for those who can't...

I think it would be a very good idea just to have an all out ban on text speak.

I can't understand it and I'd love it if people were encouraged against it. Like I said when I brought it up two days ago.

Back