General Land Marque Barchetta

Currently reading:
General Land Marque Barchetta

So much for it being just an electrical problem, the engine is burning oil in cylinder 3 so the head needs to come off again. As the head has just been skimmed what could be leaking oil? Valve stem oil seals? Worn piston rings?

I am hoping it is just the valves and not the pistons. If it is, might be a good opportunity to get some head work done to make the most out of the cams and exhaust. KC3, I know you are getting some work done. Have you seen any of the results as yet or does Mr Fixit still have your head?

Dave! Sorry to hear the bad news. Did the garage not check the engine when putting it together.
Mr Fixit, also named Dave still has my cylinder head. I'm in no rush so he is taking the time to make sure we get it right and to the performance I require.

Be great for him to have a look at yours too. Send him a PM! (y)

Last edited:
Dave! Sorry to hear the bad news. Did the garage not check the engine when putting it together.
Mr Fixit, also named Dave still has my cylinder head. I'm in no rush so he is taking the time to make sure we get it right and to the performance I require.

Be great for him to have a look at yours too. Send him a PM! (y)

That is the annoying thing as I asked them to get the valves checked when it was getting skimmed. The bores were apparently ok when they looked at them the last time. I am waiting on the garage owner to call me back. I'm not a happy camper (n)

At least I have their courtesy car to hold to ransom. Anyone need parts from a knackered Alfa 147?

I haven't mentioned to them yet that I can drive for another four weeks with my broken foot. Don't want them to then think they have another four weeks to get it fixed :rolleyes:

I will drop Mr Fixit a PM

Cheers

Dave

Looks like a valve guide and a sticky tappet could be at fault. Also the high lift cams aren't helping. The valves are seating properly though.

They changed the plugs and the car ran a lot better until nr3 got choked with oil.

So the plan is to get the head off and go back to the standard cams, replace the worn valve guide, replace the tappet and perhaps the valve stem oil seals at the same time.

I have had some communication with Mr fixit but I have decided to leave this head standard. I do have another couple to play with once the current engine is sorted.

Dave, Do you have plans for your high lift cams. Are they something you would consider selling?

No plans at the moment so would certainly consider selling them. The frustrating thing is that I don't know what spec they are or who made them. Will trying and get a photo to show in comparison to standard ones.

Thanks

Dave

Yes, would be good to know,

Ive just discovered the 2.0 ltr alfa cams fit directly in the B's head, and have some more lift and duration.

Actually you could check yours as they me even be these.
If so the cam timing should be done to that of the Alfa specs , maybe the reason why yours went running right..

Just an idea!

New arrival today, unfortunately not the car back from the garage but a new hood for when it does

Spoke to the garage yesterday, and the head is off again and it is getting the bits swapped over. Six weeks today since I left it in their capable hands...

Where did you get the hood from? Is it mohair or PVC?
Looking to get one for myself.

It is mohair and I ordered it yesterday from https://www.carhoodsdirect.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=1350 they also have an ebay shop.

Next day delivery in the UK was included in the price (y)

Just need to wait to get the car back and for it to be a hot day before fitting :rolleyes:

Went out to see the garage earlier and the head is away getting the valve guides checked and replaced as appropriate. They are hoping to get it back by the end of this week with the target being the next Friday to have it back to me

That seems a really good price,I may have to get one (I'm buying another barchetta)hope you get yours back really soon

Have also been looking at one of these, but strapped for cash so thinking about fitting it myself. The job looks straightforward apart from the stretching/glueing bit - have visions of getting Bostik all over the outside of the hood!

Hi All

It has been a while since I updated this thread, so here goes.

I got the Barchetta back a couple of weeks ago. Running really nice with the head rebuild with new valve stem oil seals, one valve guide replaced and the original cams installed. No more lumpy idle or flat spots. Pulls like a train with a nice exhaust note :D

On my way back from the garage i took it to the car wash. One of the ones were three guys do all the hard work whilst you sit in the warm and dry. Well not that dry given that the hood has still to be replaced :eek: Anyway, I noticed that the temperature gauge was heading north and the injector warning light was starting to flash :bang: Switched the engine off for a few minutes and once they finished washing I started up and headed home. The warning light stopped after a couple of minutes and the temperature came back down to normal. Got back home and left it over night.

Next day, I checked the header tank and the water level was down a minimum and there was a horrible oily sludge floating on top :bang:

Undeterred, I topped the water up and took it for a blast adopting the "what's the worst the could happen" methodology. And too its credit, the old girl ran really well. A very intoxicating experience, especially with the hood down :D

A few days of abuse and top down action later, I was checking the levels again and noticed the water was back down at minimum. I them happened to notice some coolant seeping out from one of the hoses on the thermostat housing. To my horror, I found that all of the coolant hoses were just pushed on and the hose clips were loose :eek: After a very short and to the point conversation with the garage, they asked me to drop the car back with them so they could go over all of the work that they have done to make sure everything is as it should be.

So last Thursday, I dropped the car off. On the way there the car started to smoke under acceleration :bang: so god only knows what is going on with it now.

Spoke to them on Friday and they are still trying to get to the bottom of it. Their latest theory is that they may have cracked the block when the were mounting the AC compressor by using a bolt that was too long :bang::bang::bang:

Where would you get a spare block from I hear you ask. Don't worry the Barchetta came with two engines in bits remember. Ah well that is fair enough but some gypseys broke into the compound at the garage and nicked the two blocks :eek:

If someone told me the above chain of events, I would tell them to pull the other one but no this catalog of f*** ups did happen.

With all the mechanical issues I almost forgot to say that it needs a full respray as the paint is too far gone to be brought back to life.

You can't beat a good old fashioned project car can you!?!?!?

I'm sure the Maria block is the same as are a lot of other models 1.8s.as for the injector light it shouldn't flash, it only comes on when there's a fault.mine flashed and it turned out that the camshaft sensor was worn,I think its also called the knock sensor,at least they have taken responsibility for the damage.good luck

WOW! Dave, The garage sounds like real bodgers, Best People I know for guaranteed Barchetta work is DTR in London or get her over to Dave -Mr Fixit .

Hope the garage is compensating you for all this. :mad:
Shame your to far away from me, I have a top nephew mechanic and sure I could sort out the paint. Maybe I could recommend you some professional detailer friends to have a look at the paintwork for you.

Such bad luck, Dave. Hats off to you for persevering.

It's so frustrating when you entrust your B to someone else and they mullah it. I could have wept when mine last came back from the workshop - they'd obviously had trouble with some rusty bolts (haven't we all!) and their solution was to use a bigger hammer and chisel, and hope that I wouldn't notice. I won't go there again!

She's home!

Oil leak fixed finally. There was a hairline crack in the sump

Water leaks all sorted. The reason for overheating was due to the fans not kicking in when they should have because of some bodged wiring from a repair in the past and a knackered relay.

The garage is satisfied that the block is not cracked...

Like any relationship that goes through a rocky patch, we have agreed a trail separation so we can move on in our lives before with kill each other ;)

The engine is still smokey though :bang: If the head has been sorted with new valve stem oil seals etc and the piston rings don't appear to be leaking, what could be causing it? could the oil breather be blowing oil into the inlet manifold? Can this be vented to the atmosphere instead or perhaps install a catch can?

Any advice would be appreciated as it is me getting my hands dirty now :D

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave, Glad you have your B back. :)
Catch tanks are just a few pounds and worthy modification to an older B, it will keep any oil vapors being thrown into the throttle body and may solve your problem.

You could just add a small breather filter directly at the top of the head but this is not the better solution and you may find oil vapors being sprayed into the engine bay and the atmosphere. (n)

The B looks great though, and I do like your wheels.

Last edited:
Thanks KC3.

I do like the look of the wheels too :D Unfortunately they are not in the best shape and two of them are doing a very good impersonation of a pair of rugby balls. One especially has 300 grams of weight to get it balanced :eek:

Took the B to the Scottish Italian Car Day today. Nice to get some miles on the car without the final destination being a garage.

The smoking isn't getting any better or worse and is most noticeable after I have slowed down for a roundabout or junction and then stamp on the gas. Really hoping that a catch tank is the solution.....

Back