General Lancia Y10 FIRE LX

Currently reading:
General Lancia Y10 FIRE LX

I thought it would be a good idea to clean the front of the engine before refitting the manifold so a combination of parts washer fluid in an old trigger spray bottle, WD40 and washing up liquid solution later and you can hardly tell any difference. Apart from number two and three spark plug chambers full of fluids. I took the plugs out turned the engine over a few times to blow the worst of it out and while the engine was running up to temperature (checking gasket seals and burning off cleaning stuff from the exhaust) I painted the airbox the same satin black I have for the tailgate. As the insurance company have a pretension that all Lancia's are sports cars I stuck my Hf Elephant on the box while I was at it.

jYEC1iSQ.jpg

Happy to report the engine now runs perfectly (with the blown downpipe gasket it wouldn't run without choke) and sounds as good as any FIRE engine I've had before. I don't know if there's a different cam' or needle in the Weber but she's a bit spritely compared to the Fantasia (carb' engine). Only a fw pre-M.O.T jobs to go.

I'll see if I can put tape over the left hand drive part of the headlights for an advisory instead of fail. :devil:

Well the Y10 is destined to fail the M.O.T

Tape over the pencil beams will not do. Never was an issue with a Delta but because the Y10 is right hand drive it must have right hand drive headlights fitted according to the Construction and Use regulations. Grrrr!!!

:bang:

None of the eBay Italy guys sell right hand drive ones, the second hand market is an arid desert and the only drivers side right hand drive headlight I've found in the UK is £90

I may have sold the FTO but taking a part exchange so won't have enough money for my Eurotrip. I will have enough for the new headlight, door and paint though and week or so off to get it all done. :)

Haven't one of the Y10 massive north of the border got a spare? davehenry Giacosa

Failing that you could borrow one off Gertie for the test and return it after!

Y10 massive :D I like that. The two spare lights I have somewhere are the ones that failed the MOT originally for defective reflectors. They 'might' clean up. SuperLuigi might be able to help as he has a couple of Y10s

Ears were burning! ;) I'm not sure if I have any headlamps left,I got rid of a lot of stuff years ago,never thought about RHD specific stuff, I'll have a look tomorrow night and see if there's any lamps in my stash,one option would be to get one of Kris' RHD lamps and cut the lense off and stick it onto the LHD lamp,whichever has the good reflector, they come off quite easy by just cutting round the glass with a Stanley knife and re-sticking with tiger seal or something like that.
Kris give a me a pm anytime n pop through and have a look at the white hens!-got them all in one place :)

Me personally as an mot tester think I'd let the lamp issue slide as long as there was the sticker cutting the beam flat and not too high or low,been a few months since I tested a Y10 so can't quite remember how sharp the beam patterns are,I'll need to have a wee look at the rules.

I've having a bit of a haggle with the Y10 headlight seller. I say seller but it was being held to ransom.

I offered £60
Counter offer £83.76
I countered the counter offer with £75
Item removed from eBay marked as sold.

So whoever "Bought it now" good luck to you.

None of the many eBay Italy suppliers with Y10 headlights can provide right hand drive ones. None of the breakers in the UK have a right hand drive one so I'm left with only a few options.

Daytime only M.O.T
Dodgy M.O.T
Make my own headlights based on the old units with Morette-esque lamp units in a home made mounting.

So much for original restoration I may as well paint the car Purple and Yellow now.

I've having a bit of a haggle with the Y10 headlight seller. I say seller but it was being held to ransom.

I offered £60
Counter offer £83.76
I countered the counter offer with £75
Item removed from eBay marked as sold.

So whoever "Bought it now" good luck to you.

None of the many eBay Italy suppliers with Y10 headlights can provide right hand drive ones. None of the breakers in the UK have a right hand drive one so I'm left with only a few options.

Daytime only M.O.T
Dodgy M.O.T
Make my own headlights based on the old units with Morette-esque lamp units in a home made mounting.

So much for original restoration I may as well paint the car Purple and Yellow now.

Don't give up quite so easily, I asked at the Lancia Motor Club stand and have been given some contacts for Y10 info from people who have had "lots" of them.

I'm planning to do some phoning around tomorrow night so I'll ask about headlights and spares whilst picking brains.

Apparently the chairman had Y10's too but is difficult to get hold of.

You are welcome to borrow one of Gerties for the MOT but would need to be collected as I don't trust the post, unless you are interested in a certain Black CLX at a very reasonable price! ;)

Does the CLX have a sunroof? Now I'v got the exhaust fixed the Y10 could make it to Pandaland. ;)

No, unfortunately not - anyway you've got the Fantasia with twin sunnies!

I like twin sunnies in the summer but are a bit noisy on the motorway whilst Abigayle is blowing a, er gale!

The CLX does have a working* heater now though (y)

I'm thinking of calling the new place "PANDAMONIUM" or "PANDAMENTAL"

It has reached capacity of drive/garden/roadside parking today.

I could get 1-2 in the garage if I found somewhere else for the spares!

Last edited:
Back