Technical 1000 FIRE Points

Currently reading:
Technical 1000 FIRE Points

wesacosa

Hi all
I have a 1988 Panda 1000S and it looks like the plastic pad on the points has worn
l notice that people mention there are three different types of points cassette available , one is left handed but what are the difference between the two right handed and how do I know if I have the correct ones?

I can only seem to find one part number (9940569) and on first inspection they look the same
20240525_140004.jpg

note, old one on right has one of the location tabs snapped off

However the plastic block is much bigger on the new one, backing up my theory that the old one was badly worn
20240525_174139.jpg

however the reason I am now questioning if they are correct is that I just can't get the gap small enough, even off cam the points are still open, as if the block is too big. I want to double check before I start taking a file to the block which I can't imagine should really be required

Only other point of note is that I think over the years someone has advanced the timing quite a lot to compensate for the reducing point gap with the worn block , I can't imagine that would stop the gap being set correctly but maybe it is?

many thanks

Back