General La Dolce Vita in a Fiat Barchetta

Currently reading:
General La Dolce Vita in a Fiat Barchetta

richit

It was Mike Brewer! He did a program called ‘Deals on Wheels’ and one week did a bit on buying the Barchetta in another European country with higher taxes and then bringing it to the UK where taxes were lower. I wanted one! I went to my bank manager and he told me to get lost.. A short time after, in 1995, I went to the NEC Motorshow with my wife and brother and saw one ‘in the flesh’ for the first time. Wow! I loved it. It’s flowing lines that extended even into the interior. Brilliant!

It took me another 19 years or more before I finally got one. My son and wife thought they were a bit crap so never really supported me but now my wife loves it.

My car was first registered in Portugal, which is one of the countries Mike Brewer had mentioned as they have very high car taxes, and then was brought straight to Italy. An Italian obviously had the same idea!

It was obvious it had been well maintained, despite the fact it had had 4 owners before me. I paid a lot. Cars aren’t cheap here in Italy and it’s really hard to find any good secondhand cars as Italians only spend money on their cars when the car is broken, and not before. Enthusiast’s cars like this can be an exception though and I managed to find one. It wasn’t the colour I wanted (I wanted red, yellow or orange) but I’m very happy with the blue. It looks great with the silver spoilers and mirrors.

I got the car and found a few small problems, but nothing serious - new thermostat, tyres (the fronts were Chinese!), new radio and some other bits and pieces.

We just did our biggest trip in it as it doesn’t get used much and normally does short trips for work, etc. It was our 24th wedding anniversary. We drove from here (south of Turin) over the Alps through Sestriere, Briancon, which is the highest town in Europe, and down into Provence around Gordes. We did 1,300 km and the car was perfect. OK, it wasn’t far but it is 14 years old and is a FIAT! We were so glad we’d changed the seats to Fiat Coupe seats as it’s now so comfortable, even if it upset the purists. I like a car to be original but I think it should first be practical and usable.

On the Sunday we blasted up and down Mont Ventoux, which was amazing. We bought wine and made friends with the producers in the vineyard where the movie ‘A Good Year’ was made, Avignon and Arles, the lavender fields around Valensole, then along the coast to San Tropez but the traffic was terrible so we headed for a blast over ‘Col de Braus’ to Tende and then Cuneo, the D2004 road, which is amazing.. then home. Tired, a little sunburned and with a very dirty car but it was great fun and we can’t wait for the next trip.

France was great but far too much attitude in the south (we stayed in La Cadiere-d'Azur - the hotel was a joke and the town had nothing..), so much so I would never go again but the Luberon area was great and the people were friendly (can highly recommend this place - Mas Dansavan Chambres d'Hôtes). But we prefer Italy! Next trip - The Dolomites.

So, the best holiday you can have is in a Barchetta. If you’re thinking about France… well, have a think about this area - the Langhe and Monferrato of Piedmont, Italy - same distance from the UK! The landscape - MUCH better, the wine - no comparison and the food.. it’s far superior, and much cheaper ;-)

Now it’s not so hot today so I’m going to give her a clean. She did great and really made the holiday very special. We have a beautiful, comfortable BMW 5 and the trip would have been very nice in it, but not like going in the Barchetta..

(My internet is playing up at the moment so I'll add some photos once it's fixed..)

Thanks for sharing, it sounds like you had a brilliant time. BMWs are great but the south of France is a somehow just a better setting for an Italian car. You are right about Italy. Have not driven there in the Barchetta but we love Italy. We stopped by chance in Livigno a few years ago and fell in love with the place, the food and especially the people. The Langhe looks lovely too (just googled it - my geography is crap), perhaps not as well known by us Brits? Is thee anywhere in particular you'd recommend for a touring holiday?

We've been going skiing to Livigno ever since we first stumbled across it. Very, very good value and hospitality, especially now the pound has fallen so low.

We will be driving to mount Ventoux and cycling up it next week. Hopefully visiting Tarascon to watch the Tour de France on the 14th. too.

Be great to see some photos when the Internet is fixed.

Hi Sbd119, Yes, this area is amazing. We help ‘foreigners’ buy houses here and it’s very sort-after by those in the know.

Here is a route I would recommend.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/4...d2b31c32ae617d:0x367920ffc81a3bf2!1m0!1m0!3e0

If you can start on the Swiss side, for example, the drive of your life is the San Bernard Pass. And if you’re a fan of the original Italian Job then the drive up to Colle del Nivolet, is amazing. It’s where the bus hung off the edge of the cliff at the end of the film. It’s breathtakingly beautiful and a really fun drive. Also, at the bottom of the pass you’ll see the factory where your Barchetta first started life as a chassis.

Turin is great. Not very touristy, they really don’t cater for them at all, but the architecture is amazing.

Then head south to the area I’m in. Pop in for a glass or two of red and then head to the Langhe. Barolo is a town, and a wine. It’s now rated as the best in the world. All the wines here are great. The scenery in this area is fantastic.

Chris Bangle, the former head of Fiat design and 14 years head of BMW design (who did the Coupe and the early Barchetta - the Marinara and Diavola, BMWs 5,7, X3, X4 X5, Mini…) lives in the area and he does a project of big benches. Search ‘Bangle benches Langhe’ and you’ll see what I mean. They are worth a visit and there’s a car connection.

Then, head for Cuneo. A really nice small city. After that head to Nice over the Col de Braus passing through the Tende tunnel which is just weird but the drive on the French side is nuts, a real blast.

I don’t know Livorno at all.. I’ve only ever driven by. But other places that are great - Lucca, Arezzo, Siena (I prefer it to Florence) and then over the hills to Le Marche region and Abruzzo is great. We recently went to the town of Norcia (in our big soft BMW - it was winter) and it was amazing. You can’t really go wrong in Italy!

Here are some photos. Internet is now working! We got hit by lightning and it fried the phone and the Ethernet adapter that powers our WiFi antenna...

First photo is the NEC in 1995... I love that colour!

Next photos are from our recent trip to Provence, France.

EDW_0118.jpg

fiat-barchetta-blog-1.jpg

fiat-barchetta-blog-2.jpg

EDW_9329.jpg

Love the picture of the car and the lavender field, so evocative of province. There is of course an Italian, well Roman, connection going back down the centuries so perhaps fitting for an Italian car to be in that location in more ways than one.

Thank richit, it looks amazing. I think that is definitely on the to do list later this year or next spring. Going to google Bangle benches now.

I just wanted to add this one. If you've seen the movie 'A Good Year' this is the house Russell Crowe inherited.. It's a really beautiful place and I got to drive the Barch on the same road he blasted the Harley. Hey, a bit sad but it was a great place and film, so why not ;):)

bonnieux-france.jpg

Where is the house? Amazing picture your 'photographer' has an amazing eye for a good shot. That could almost be an advertising shot for the car.

Nice trip again.... can I interject? It's the Chateau de la Canorgue.. The famed "Coin Perdu" wine from the movie actually exists; I have a bottle in my cellar - plus a couple of their own Chateau Canorgue reds too.In 2013 we themed our whole motorhome trip on the movie A Good Year- visited all the sites including Cucuron, where sadly the outdoor cinema by the pond was a movie fixture only. Also took in the Lacoste castle, former home of the Marquis de Sade and latterly Pierre Cardin, and the fantastic Val Joannis gardens, which incidentally also produce nice wines!.The Luberon is fabulous, as is nearby Fontaine de Vaucluse just over the departementale boundary. GO!

Yes, Doblvert, spot on. We went to all the locations and bought the wine :) Cucuron was really nice, also Gordes. It's a really nice part of the world and people were very friendly. We came back through Nice and can't believe what we're seeing on the TV last night and this morning...

Sbd119 my wife took the photo! We did a video as well but I've not even seen it yet.

Here's my wife with a bottle of CP. I don't suppose we'll ever open it but we bought plenty of their other wines to enjoy!

cucuron.jpg

You are not a bad photographer yourself Richit.

Yes indeed, Truly heartbreaking news about the attack in Nice. Without getting all political about it - it is simply shocking how susceptible humanity is to misplaced ideals and ideas. When they eventually say who perpetrated this atrocity, it will no doubt turn out to be another boy or girl next door who no one can believe thought this way. My heart goes out to all those people who are grieving personal loss this morning. We should grieve in our collective humanity that mankind has not yet evolved beyond this... I want to say madness; but the really scary thing is that it is an option taken by sane individuals.

Thanks! A good camera always helps ;):)

It is shocking... what next?

Last edited:
Thanks guys!! No, I can't complain.. I do.. but not much. I met my wife at the Berlin wall (at the only part that's still there!) in the summer of 1990, 6 months after the wall came down and she blew me away. I was 25, she was 23. She's 49 now and still beautiful. Even young men turn their heads. Young girls run away screaming from me!!! :confused::confused::eek: So.. I do have something to complain about..

I couldn't sleep last night thinking about those poor people in Nice.. No man-made government can fix these problems.. They're great at creating them.

As my thread turned into more about my holiday than the car I’ve written down some of the things I’ve changed on the car. Here goes..

When I first got it
It was running cold all the time so I changed the thermostat. End of problem. New spark plugs, oil change, front discs and pads, new brake fluid, cleaned the cooling system. Cambelt had been done.

Audio
Radio wasn’t great, it had a touchy on-off button so I bought a Blaupunkt Toronto 420 BT from Amazon. It looks a little retro. Great sound. The only thing I don’t like is I can’t see the display when the roof is open.. but that might be too much moaning. I also changed the front speakers to Alpine SXE-1750S and put soundproofing behind them. Just that makes a big difference. The speaker box wasn’t working so I retired the amplifier and fitted new speaker. I might fit a new amp one day, but there again, I don’t like to make to much noise.

Soundproofing
I did the whole floor in the cabin and inside the doors. Made a huge difference. Feels much more solid and is very quiet.

Exhaust
It had the original and was fine apart from the chrome tails pipes were ugly and it sounded like a 1.4 Punto. Fitted a IMASAF. Rev it hard and it’s really nice. Was easy to fit apart from when I cut the last mounting rubber with a Stanley knife, not thinking about what would happen next.. and it came crashing down in my face..

Tyres
When I got it, all the tyres were new but the fronts were Chinese!! It handle like a Barcha, a big boat, so I changed them for new P6000 Pirellis. It handles like a dream.

Xenon headlights
I couldn’t believe how bad the normal lights were. A set off of Amazon (Rover) on offer for around £40 did the trick. Not so difficult to fit and they’re great. I fitted them on the low beam as high beams are ok.

Central locking
It didn’t have it… A simple €20 kit from Ebay. Easy to fit. Now I’ve added an alarm and hooked them up. I’m supposed to fit the window closer unit as well but the company that make it, Hawk, provide absolutely terrible instructions so it’s still in the box. They were less than helpful when I wrote to them.

Heater matrix
Well documented now. A big job but it had to be done. Everything is good now with no squeaks or rattles and no leaks from the cooling system.

Seats
The originals were in great condition but very uncomfortable. I fitted Fiat Coupe seats I bought for €200. They are great. A bit of a faff to fit but not too bad. I just sold the originals to a very nice guy from Monza that’s restoring a neglected 2002 Naxos, same as mine. He was very happy to pay me €200 as they’re rare to find in good condition.

Strut brace
Bought a Sparco and it has made a difference. Better handling and it looks good. One bolt hole on the right side is impossible to get to from under the car so I cut the head off a bolt and glued it in the hole. It’s not necessary anyway but it looks better than a just a hole.

Boot Rack
I bought a 2nd hand one for €150 but it doesn’t fit. The clamps are too fat as the later Barchs have thicker panels so smaller gaps. I’m trying to find another.. and sell this one..

The Future
Brakes need improving so I might upgraded the discs, pads and brake hoses. I could do with a new front number plate but here in Italy you have to buy two and they want €150! One day when I’m flush maybe. Next thing I want is a Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo but the Barch will always be here as well..!

Back