Technical Knocking Sound

Currently reading:
Technical Knocking Sound

vandisian

getting a knocking sound from driver side when i go over any bumps. Wheel bearing is fine, cv joint is fine brand new shock absorber and rubbers are fine. Could anyone enlighten me as to the possible culprits. Id rather have an idea rather than lie under the car gazing vacantly.

cheers

sorry should have searched first have got some information hopefully that will do.

Last edited:
custard boy said:
could be the bushes on the lower suspension arms as mine made a dull knocking sound over bumps.replaced them last week.
now i can hear all the other noises :( ;)

is that an item for the local motor factors or better buying them online?

arc said:
could also be a worn ball joint, or strut top mounts

had the driveshaft off balljoint seems ok

i replaced shock recently because of this but didnt fix the noise the shock was goosed though with much leakage

arc said:
new damper doesnt normally include new top mount.

driveshaft ball joint? I mean the ball joint on the lower wishbone / suspension arm.

I'm having same problem. Well had it for over 12 months since I had him. Gray put new struts on both sides this week but the knocking is still there. He's checked wheels for play, balljoints, track rod ends etc and can't find anything amiss.

What does the top mount look like?

Shop4parts:

Part Number: S4P758
Our Price: £29.66

S4P758.jpg

cheers arc i had checked that for a price got a sei in the scrappy with driver side intact visit tommorrow. Its only got 26k on it so is there anything else i should get while im there? Apart from engine which i can afford just now.

Last edited:
Need to replace mine too - the driver side one is in about 4 pieces...not good

Fiat quoted circa £60 each!

Picked up a brand new set from ebay from a guy who got them by mistake (somehow) - £40 the pair, inc delivery. Theyre not OEM; they're SKF?? but have roller bearings and the bushing part is pretty damn firm rubber - very well made.

If it helps anyone, the receipt that was in the box states they were originally from:

Here

£54.52 the pair exc delivery. Unsurprisingly, less than half the price of FIAT

Part #: SKF-VKDC35202

Gonna do a 'how to' guide when the time comes to replace them.

J

Last edited:
Back