Technical knocking sound

Currently reading:
Technical knocking sound

sdshakeshaft

Hi,
I'm a new driver and only picked up my 2000 W Punto 1.2 3dr yesterday so please be patient with me.

I've noticed that when I'm holding the clutch at biting point both for moving forwards and backwards, I get a knocking sound. It seems to be worse though when I'm reversing. I can't really work out where the sounds is coming from (as I said, I only picked it up yesterday so haven't had much time for troubleshooting).

My brother-in-law, who checked the car over, assures me that it's the exhaust knocking due to the vibration. I just wanted to get some more advice and opinions before taking it to a garage.

Is there anything that I can check myself? (remember I'm a newbie)

Many thanks in advance.

You will experience these as your car is now 10 years old but most of them are silly things like bust hangers etc.

Where does the knock come from? Front? Rear? Left? Right?

It could be the exhaust but I doubt it as it would sound as though it was coming from under your seat and usually is accompanied by one or two follow on knocks.

If its from the front then chances are its an anti roll bush, not really a biggie but needs attention all the same.

More serious knocks are loose calipers, engine mounts etc, best advice I can give ya mate is wang it up on a proper ramp then use the little booster bits to take the weight off the wheels and wiggle everything and then do it again with a pry bar and hopefully you will find it.

Thanks for the info, fellas. I'm going to have it checked out in a week or so.

Back