Technical Knocking from underneath car

Currently reading:
Technical Knocking from underneath car

Gozoguy

Hi All,

I have a 1997 Fiat Punto Mk2 1.2 Manual Petrol 60hp.

Have been hearing a 'knocking' sound from underneath the vehicle (sounds almost like front and right towards the wheel). When looking underneath to see anything obvious I do see something that looks wrong (although this is more in the centre of the underneath of the car).

Looks like a rubber brace that seems to support the exhaust has snapped in half and so is just hanging loose (see attached photos). Should I refrain from driving the car until I get this resolved? I am hoping to do this myself, is it looks reasonably simple to swap over but any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark

Attachments

• exhaust1.jpg
    exhaust1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 58
  • exhaust2.jpg
    exhaust2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • exhaust3.jpg
    exhaust3.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 19
Hi All,

I have a 1997 Fiat Punto Mk2 1.2 Manual Petrol 60hp.

Have been hearing a 'knocking' sound from underneath the vehicle (sounds almost like front and right towards the wheel). When looking underneath to see anything obvious I do see something that looks wrong (although this is more in the centre of the underneath of the car).

Looks like a rubber brace that seems to support the exhaust has snapped in half and so is just hanging loose (see attached photos). Should I refrain from driving the car until I get this resolved? I am hoping to do this myself, is it looks reasonably simple to swap over but any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark

Hi .. :)

That is a rubber 'suspension mount' or hanger

They degrade with age :eek:

Yes you want a new one..

But in the meantime:

Swing the 2 parts around until they are back in their natural algnment.. pointing up-down.. rather than 90'

Once it looks aligned
Get a wide cable.tie

Loop it around the whole rubber assembly.. and pull tight

The tie will do the supporting.. the rubber offering suspension

You can do similar with the rear mount too..

Some modern hangers have a webbing band around them.. so youll be bringing your 18 yearold hangers up to date :)

Last edited:
Thanks very much, this cable tie method, could it be a longish term fix? i.e a year or so? Or should I really get the new rubber braces in place asap?

Back