Technical Knocking from steering column

Currently reading:
Technical Knocking from steering column

ryang

i have a knocking noise from the steering column whenever i am stationary and turn the wheel from one lock to the opposite lock, sounds =like springs compressing and expanding, thats the best way to explain it.

Is this normal?? The car is a 1.2 16v mk 2

Cheers
Ryan

shouldn't turn your steering wheel much atall when stationary, thats proberly why its happened!!

also hitting the ends of the steering rack with mk2 punto's with the electric steering helps cause the sensors to fail = mega bucks to fix.

hitting the end of the rack quickly in any car will make a noise, expect it.

also when you get somewhere near the end of the lock and let go of the wheel it will spin back and make a noise, same with any car. sounds like a dull thumping/spring uncoiling and coiling again, with a bang inbetween.

shouldn't turn your steering wheel much atall when stationary, thats proberly why its happened!!

also hitting the ends of the steering rack with mk2 punto's with the electric steering helps cause the sensors to fail = mega bucks to fix.

hitting the end of the rack quickly in any car will make a noise, expect it.

also when you get somewhere near the end of the lock and let go of the wheel it will spin back and make a noise, same with any car. sounds like a dull thumping/spring uncoiling and coiling again, with a bang inbetween.

well hang on a minute i'm sure he wouldn't post this here if it was not something his car has always done

I say replace the top mounts they area common fault on mk2 about 15 quid each

Back