Knob Sub & Amp question's

Currently reading:
Knob Sub & Amp question's

Now, as a few know, I've now a Stilo, and have always wanted a Sub, but the Panda's boot was never big enough (as I do like to use a boot for carrying other things) :p

I'm a compleate retard (almost) when it comes to these, so need a few hints and tips please.

I've had people trying to sell me various different units at college. Now I want to set one thing clear. I don't want a 'look at me, I'm a :tosser: who can make lots of noise' unit. I just want something to complement the speakers the cars come with (standard units).

I've been told that this isn't possible though and will make the speakers sound crap. True of faulse? I think it's a load of bull, but as I've said I'm not sure.

Second question. 1000watt amp, 700 watt sub. Surly that will blow the sub up, having a bigger rated amp, and it should be the other way around?

3rd Q. I've got a Sony Xplod HU, but don't have the 2 phono (think thats that type) plugs in the back of it to run the wiring from it to the amp. Other than getting a new HU (which I don't really want to do as mine's already got the Bluetooth Handsfree that I want) is there any way of getting around this :confused:

Final question. Where is it I'd need to make adjustments to adjust the level of bass output? Would it be on the HU, Amp, or will I need to get a junction box thing :confused:

Many thanks in advanced (y)

A rather confused Jon. :p

:D
Now, as a few know, I've now a Stilo, and have always wanted a Sub, but the Panda's boot was never big enough (as I do like to use a boot for carrying other things) :p

I'm a compleate retard (almost) when it comes to these, so need a few hints and tips please.

I've had people trying to sell me various different units at college. Now I want to set one thing clear. I don't want a 'look at me, I'm a :tosser: who can make lots of noise' unit. I just want something to complement the speakers the cars come with (standard units).

I've been told that this isn't possible though and will make the speakers sound crap. True of faulse? I think it's a load of bull, but as I've said I'm not sure.

Second question. 1000watt amp, 700 watt sub. Surly that will blow the sub up, having a bigger rated amp, and it should be the other way around?

3rd Q. I've got a Sony Xplod HU, but don't have the 2 phono (think thats that type) plugs in the back of it to run the wiring from it to the amp. Other than getting a new HU (which I don't really want to do as mine's already got the Bluetooth Handsfree that I want) is there any way of getting around this :confused:

Final question. Where is it I'd need to make adjustments to adjust the level of bass output? Would it be on the HU, Amp, or will I need to get a junction box thing :confused:

Many thanks in advanced (y)

A rather confused Jon. :p

The best way to improve sound quality is to replace the standard speakers and run these from a 4 channel amp. However if the standard speakers are of a good quality but are just lacking in bottom end sound then fitting a sub and amp will improve the sound.

In response to your second question, it depends whether the Sub power rating is RMS or PMPO. Most manufacturers advertise the PMPO (i think this stands for Peak Maximum Power Output) because it sounds more impressive. It is best to closely match the Amp power to the RMS output of the Sub but you can always turn the gain down on the Amp if it is more powerful than your sub. Remember power ratings are always maximums so as long as you set your amp up properly a 1000w amp should be ok with a 700w RMS sub. For a practical sub and amp with good sound quality some of the integrated enclosures are good and easily removed if needed - check out this ebay shop they have some good buys. Don't be put off by the fact they are reconditioned. I have bought from them and their items are as good as new!
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/merchant/arc-audiorepaircentre_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZ

Question 3 - You can convert speaker outputs to phono's with a relatively cheap adapter like this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/High-Quality-Speaker-to-RCA-Interface-Adaptor-Convertor_W0QQitemZ400016850064QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET?hash=item400016850064&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
However the sound quality is not usually as good as a proper pre-out from a HU. Also you have to either lose a set of speaker outputs or split it from a set which affects the sound quality of both the sub and speakers.

Final Q. Bass level can be adjusted at both HU and amp. Some amps come with or have an optional bass boost controller but they are somewhat unecessary, just a show off item so boy racers can whack the bass up to full whilst in Comet car park watching Citroen Saxo's do handbrake turns!:D

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I love my Bass q control on one of my sub amps. It actually clips less than using other controls on the amp. :confused: Digital amps are extremely different to analogue lol.

Really power means nothing MEP. I dont have anything in my car that isnt being over powered. Just learn how to use a scope and make sure that you are sending a clean signal.

If i were you i would mosey on over to caraudiosecurity.com and caraudiodirect.com and have a look at the 10" JBL sub and amps. Unless you change the HU you will need to amp up the speakers as you will have to convert the HU outputs to input into an amp.

Right, new Plan, Gonna get a new HU, and run two single DIN's in a double DIN facia thing (hope they do them for the Stilo, saw one in a mk3 Panda). So will have current CD player for the odd CD, and gonna get
rk8200_available.jpg

To play my iPod through and To run the amp and sub from.

Only thing woud be speaker conecting to two HU's. God I'm making this complicated :bang: :eek:

Ive just re-read your original post. What sony xplod HU do you have. Im sure that it will have a least 1 set of RCA outputs if it has Bluetooth Etc.

127694vb.png

Sony BT MEX-2500

Can't see them on the back. Old (rubbish) Sony unit the car came with had them on the back.

Someone told me that I might be able to get another loom with them dangling from.

It's really strange as all the other units we've had (all not as good as this one) have had the aux output thingys. :(

On the first one WTF is that that i have made bold :confused:
KEY FEATURES
4 X 50 Watt Power Output
MP3/WMA Compatible more info»
CD-R/RW Compatible
Digital 3-Band iEQ
2V Line Output Level
Gold-Plated Line Output Terminals (2 pairs)
USB Port
Front AUX input
Bluetooth Ready (Via optional KS-BTA200)
iPod compatible (Via optional KS-PD100)
DAB Ready (Via optional KT-TB1000)

All in all that looks to be a sweet little unit for the money though.

Back