IMG_20210628_210933.jpg

Kitaro - 2004 Daihatsu Copen

Introduction

Well here we go again... :devil:
Been wanting a little side project for a while as the daily commute is incredibly mundane and I want a little fun for the weekends.
I was looking at Cinq's pretty heavily but after being messed around by 2 sellers I started looking more broadly.
Had a keen interest in Japanese kei cars for a while, find the concept fascinating and so here we are :rolleyes:
2 weeks ago I scooped up this

It reminds me of my 92 Panda in some ways, so small and narrow makes UK roads suddenly feel open and wide, no issue having to squeeze past mums in their LR Discovery on the school run.

Being a kei car it is a 660cc turbo as required by the Japanese regulations although it makes an extra 4hp compared to the Japanese sold models due to not having the 64hp cap kei cars adhere to in Japan, so the ignition doesn't retard quite as much to keep the power under that 64hp limit.
It revs out to 8000rpm and has a twin-scroll turbo so boost is pretty even throughout the range :D
It's got some rust starting to appear but its last MOT was clean sheet, 1 owner from new, serviced annually and covered just 32k miles.

Oh and the roof folds down. I keep forgetting that and have only driven it once with it actually folded back :cool:
Covered 450 happy miles, mostly with the roof down. All appears ok so time to treat him to an oil change. Well... my low profile oil filter still proved to be an absolute arse to extract...

so I took the bumper off again 🫠
View attachment 445183
This time I decided to take the intercooler out to give it a clean, that was a mistake too. The hose clamps were a huge pain to get back on, they're sprung rather than a simple jubilee clip, much swearing later they were reattached, I don't think it was really worth it, I didn't even take an 'after' photo.

Now this may be a stupid question but is there a particular reason they couldn't be replaced with standard jubilee clips?

Not that you'll be cleaning the intercooler regularly I'd assume..

Now this may be a stupid question but is there a particular reason they couldn't be replaced with standard jubilee clips?

Not that you'll be cleaning the intercooler regularly I'd assume..
Jubilee clips don't provide even clamping force on all sides, the various cars with turbos I've owned haven't used jubilee clips on the boost hoses although I'm sure it would probably be fine to use them. I don't intend to take it off again so thought I'd struggle through getting it back on and never touch it!

Jubilee clips don't provide even clamping force on all sides, the various cars with turbos I've owned haven't used jubilee clips on the boost hoses although I'm sure it would probably be fine to use them. I don't intend to take it off again so thought I'd struggle through getting it back on and never touch it!

Odd on a light pressure set up though..

This is the boost on the C3...yes it's absolutely manky.

1000013261.jpg

Orange hot boost going down to the intercooler, black cooled boost coming back.

Or perhaps the french don't give a toss.

Odd on a light pressure set up though..

This is the boost on the C3...yes it's absolutely manky.

Orange hot boost going down to the intercooler, black cooled boost coming back.

Or perhaps the french don't give a toss.
I'll have to check my friends 208 GTi as his engine bay looks very similar to yours but I expect it is running more boost. Twinairs use Clic-R clamps, having had a look back through old pictures though it would appear my Saab had jubilee clips which managed 19psi alright so I assume its probably fine.

are you talking about these??
1717489143919.png

They don't do anything fancy and won't hold more even or as tight as a jubilee. Japanese manufacturers love these, my suzuki only has these pretty much.
You can buy special pliers to latch onto the tabs and click open but i never find them that hard, they can be a struggle with access issues but if you don't like them replacing with jubilees will be fine. The advantage of them i guess is you don't overtighten hose clamps which i find people do A LOT. And putting these together in factory with the appropriate tool is no doubt significantly faster than other types of hose clamp.

Side note on hose clamps in general - people seem to use t-bolt clamps alot on high boost aftermarket stuff. Over the years it has become a thing that is said all over the place, replace jubilees with t-bolts to hold high boost. But I have seen a convincing argument on how they are better at holding a hose on. Seems to me they will take repeated removal and refitting better due it using an actual nut and bolt to tighten rather than a little worm drive. But they don't really do the equal pressure thing they claim, they still pinch at the point the tighten up (why hose clamps just leak if you tighten them too much).

Fuel line clips do a pretty good job at equal pressure, but clearly they are all really small.

Murray Clamps though, correct name 'murray constant tension clamps', they really are equal pressure. You rarely see them though, i think i've seen like maybe 3 or 4 people ever use them outside motorsport. Jubilee is basically good for anything on a car except perhaps fuel lines.

^^just my opinion

are you talking about these??
View attachment 446020

They don't do anything fancy and won't hold more even or as tight as a jubilee. Japanese manufacturers love these, my suzuki only has these pretty much.
You can buy special pliers to latch onto the tabs and click open but i never find them that hard, they can be a struggle with access issues but if you don't like them replacing with jubilees will be fine. The advantage of them i guess is you don't overtighten hose clamps which i find people do A LOT. And putting these together in factory with the appropriate tool is no doubt significantly faster than other types of hose clamp.
Yes those, good to know. I just fought with them, they were unbelievably stiff and quite sharp so if your pliers slide off they can really bite you. The small ones are easy to remove, it was just the two large ones on the intercooler that were too wide for my pliers so I had to use a combination of pliers and a worm drive adjustable spanner thing, it wasn't the ideal route but it worked in the end.
Side note on hose clamps in general - people seem to use t-bolt clamps alot on high boost aftermarket stuff. Over the years it has become a thing that is said all over the place, replace jubilees with t-bolts to hold high boost. But I have seen a convincing argument on how they are better at holding a hose on. Seems to me they will take repeated removal and refitting better due it using an actual nut and bolt to tighten rather than a little worm drive. But they don't really do the equal pressure thing they claim, they still pinch at the point the tighten up (why hose clamps just leak if you tighten them too much).

Fuel line clips do a pretty good job at equal pressure, but clearly they are all really small.

Murray Clamps though, correct name 'murray constant tension clamps', they really are equal pressure. You rarely see them though, i think i've seen like maybe 3 or 4 people ever use them outside motorsport. Jubilee is basically good for anything on a car except perhaps fuel lines.

^^just my opinion
It was only something I had read once about jubilee clips not having equal clamping force and it was the reason the other, more awkard to remove... clips exist, if I find myself removing them again I will replace with jubilee I suppose.

Not sure what boost pressure the Copen runs but the C3 is 11 pounds as standard and can be turned up to 17 pounds with no changes.

As standard I highly doubt you'll trouble the clamps much, but obviously one of those things where unless it needs to come apart again there's no point messing with it.

Not sure what boost pressure the Copen runs but the C3 is 11 pounds as standard and can be turned up to 17 pounds with no changes.

As standard I highly doubt you'll trouble the clamps much, but obviously one of those things where unless it needs to come apart again there's no point messing with it.
Copen pushes a mighty 15psi, I'm unlikely to remove the intercooler again (will I hope not anyway) so they can sit there until they rust away probably 😂

Yes those, good to know. I just fought with them, they were unbelievably stiff and quite sharp so if your pliers slide off they can really bite you. The small ones are easy to remove, it was just the two large ones on the intercooler that were too wide for my pliers so I had to use a combination of pliers and a worm drive adjustable spanner thing, it wasn't the ideal route but it worked in the end.
I tend to go for mole grips, awkward to get them on sometime but once its clamped its clamped. Failing that water pump pliers work well on the big ones.

Yes those, good to know. I just fought with them, they were unbelievably stiff and quite sharp so if your pliers slide off they can really bite you.
we’ve all been there, we all feel your pain and bare those same scars. 😫

Worse still when you’re trying to squeeze something like pliers really hard and they slip off and literally the pliers bite you by then suddenly trapping some skin in the handle just behind the hinge.
It’s making me wince just thinking about it.

I now change all clips to the jubilee type where I can these days, cheap clips can be prone to breaking

Back