Kindle Fire HD7 vs Google Nexus 7 vs others

Currently reading:
Kindle Fire HD7 vs Google Nexus 7 vs others

Dominion

haven't got enough lette
My Mrs is after a Kindle Fire HD 7 for her birthday, but I can't help but feel that the Google Nexus offers better value for money and better access to apps since it uses an Android OS.

She reckons she'll be using it mainly for reading ebooks, but I suspect it won't be too long before she's using it to buy yet more random crap off the internet.

Anyone have any experience of one or both of these devices, or perhaps a different contender (except ipad mini, because that won't be happening). Any advice gratefully accepted.

Cheers.

I have a nexus 7 and it is very good, you can also download the kindle app for it so you basically have a fire hd anyway...
I had my nexus 2 days before i smashed the screen though, it is very fragile and you need to handle them carefully. Check reviews about the screens before you buy, if its going to be clanging around in her handbag there is a big chance it can crack.
Luckily i insured mine.
But it is a good tablet and can contend with a lot of the higher end tablets.

I dont have a fire or have never used one so cant comment, sorry.

I got my daughter a Kindle Fire HD for her birthday and she loves it. She is only 12 so easy to use plus it is still based on Android, albeit heavily amended by Amazon.

Personally, I would go for the Nexus but as the Nexus 10 - I am waiting for the next model to be released though.

I got an Acer Iconia A110, very similar to the Nexus 7 and I'd agree that would be the way to go as it still gives access to ebooks, with the flexibility of being able to use pretty much any other android app. I even have a bundle of some 400+ ebooks you could have to get you started ;)

I got a Nexus 7 for Christmas and my Mum got a Kindle Fire HD. The nexus is ALOT easier to use and much much clearer. Tech spec wise im sure they are similar but because the Nexus has the same layout as the Android phones its logical to use which the Kindle isn't.

I've got a nexus 7 and samsung galaxy note2. I would recommend the nexus for many reasons but the main being that it runs pure android, so is updated by google and always runs the very latest version of android. Build quality is excellent-just put it in a case for a few quid off ebay. The screen is 720p hd and very good. Its powered by a nvidia tegra quad core processor and is very quick. Just make sure you get the 32gb version though as theres no expansion port. Download all the book, kindle etc apps and have the best of both worlds!
My mum has a kindle hd and is on her third in 2 months! My nexus has never faultered in 6mths.

Thanks for all the replies. She made a final decision to go with the Kindle. I bought it today and so far she seems happy with it. She'll probably break it soon enough though, so I'll be on here again asking if anyone knows of a decent repair service....

Thanks again (y)

I've had an Archos 10.1 tab for a few years. By today's standards it is slow to surf the web but it has USB and micro Sd slot. Battery life around 4 hours. great for watching films etc on long journeys & because of the USB I can tether my phone when away from wifi. (coach trip, hols, beach etc).

I wouldn't mind getting something faster - I find the smartphone too small to use to comfortably surf the web. How do you guys get on when out and about?

Back