Technical Key fob suddenly not working

Currently reading:
Technical Key fob suddenly not working

Hjanzen

My 500C is 8 years old with just over 50000km. Today the Fiat Code System Failure light came on and my key fobs suddenly would not lock or unlock my car from the outside. If I sat inside the car with the door closed they would then work. I tried the key in the ignition and turning them from “start” to “MAR” a few times and with both key fobs. They do work now, however, I have to stand right up to the car and pointing directly above the car door handle. Do I suddenly need new batteries in both fobs? Just seems weird that all of a sudden they both don’t work.

Good news! The next morning both my fobs worked perfectly. Seems the system reset itself over night.
I know this may sound stupid, but whilst at daughters house I left some food I was taking back with me in her fridge and rested my car keys in fridge to remind me to take the food, when I went to unlock my car it didn't like it on the fob buttons, but ever since has worked fine, so in my case temp. related.:)

Yes, I'd replace the batteries at the first sign of trouble. I've only had to change the FIAT's keyfob battery once in ten years but the wife's Mazda needed both replaced at the same time after only three years. Perhaps the keyless ignition runs 'em down faster. It was weird; it'd take several button presses, very close to the car, to get it to open on a cold morning but after that you could do it from 50 yards away for the rest of the day...! I think I'll replace the FIAT battery now, while I think of it.

Done! :giggle:

Last edited:
Back