Technical Kangaroo effect in 2nd gear

Currently reading:
Technical Kangaroo effect in 2nd gear

thepieman

Hi Folks,

Difficult one to explain, but as I’m driving, and at any time that I have to go into second gear, if I lift my foot complete off the accelerator the car starts to kangaroo for a second or so and then dies down.
Any ideas what this could be?

Sorry for the explanation, it’s the only way I can put it, by the way it happens has the car is full motion and not as a result of me engaging 2nd i.e. like a learner driver not getting the clutch biting point right.

It's a 57 plate GP 1.2 Active

Regards
TPM

maybe your clutch, i have the same problem usually when going uphill where i use half clutch a lot, or during traffic, only happen on 1st and 2nd gear when the clutch is hot... if this what happen, try to release the clutch quicker with less gas.

Last edited:
at any time that I have to go into second gear

go to second gear from third gear or from 1st gear??

I have a similar problem when shifting from third gear to second gear...

Try shifting the gear when the RPM meter is below 1000rpm. When i do this, it works fine

I have this also. Was convinced it was the gearbox mount but changing it didn't resolve that.

Possibly the lower engine mount, but I'm sure this will be highlighted at my upcoming MOT.

Cheers, will get them to look at it, two weeks time got MOT so will confirm if this fixes it.

Could this also account for a vibration noise (really annoying in the cabin, it sounds like a loose nut on a bolt) at low revs and high revs and a severe judder if you don't give it enough gas?

Back