Technical K+N 57i Problems!!

Currently reading:
Technical K+N 57i Problems!!

Just fitted a brand new 57i kit to my sei - Finally sorted the engine and gearbox, decided to get the current engine fixed and tuned, anyhow back to my 2 problems. Firstly the darn clip they give you to attatch the filter to the carb fits, but when you tighten it up, it seems to come off down the road, seems as if the pipe from the rocker box is forcing the filter off the carb... Secondly there seems to be dark oil seeping from the top of the filter, i presume the oil is from the same pipe that is giving me hasstle from the rocker box. Has anyone else had this problem? Thinking of fitting a mini oil breather filter to that pipe, to stop the oil getting to my K&N and also stop it force'ing the main filter off... but then what do i do about the hole left in the bottom of my K&N filter once the breathers fitted?
Any help or pictures of your 57i's + breathers would be appreciated! P.s The instructions for the 57i were followed!!

You didnt buy a K+N that fits an MPI sei, rather than an SPI sei did you??

If you have oil getting into your filter you have excessive back pressure which is an indication of something more wrong than just the filter.

Its easy enough to block the inlet on the bottom of the filter to allow a breather filter to be fitted. A table leg end cap will do the job.

Cheers

D

i used to have the same problem. dont overtighten the clip as this will cause it to pop off. just tighten up until you can feel the filter is tight enough by rocking the filter. it shouldnt pop off then. antother way of doing it is to get a strut brace. then the filter gets trapped and squashed under it :)

happens with me too!!
i sacked the clip an now use cable ties it still pops off now an again but its alot better.
Cheers,
Zoe

Same thing happened to mine.

Firstly before fitting degrease the throttle body where the filter will fit and the lip on the filter itself.

Put a ring of cable ties (I used 4 narrow ones) on the filter first so that they sit directly under the base of the filter, and then fit the jubilee clip. This should stop it from lifting up when tigtening.

Tried the mini oil filter breather, car contantly stank of oil inside and gave me headaches!

Instead, when you take off the original oil breather pipe off, inside is a metal spiral thing, just wedge this into the new pipe and this should stop the oil spitting up into the filter.

hi all
mine did this too lol i just drilled a hole in top of filter and put a bolt througth

I wonder what everyone is doing wrong then, I had a K&N for nearly 3 years and never had a bother with it.

Just used the normal jubilee clip and it was fine, bring the tightening part of the clip to the right off the filter facing you, left had pushing down on the filter and also use your fingers from this hand to hold the clip steady.

Lift the clip 2mm from the bottom of the filter and tighten.

Instructions say 3 turns or something but that ain't enough, just follow LRD previous instruction.

Then once tight you attach the pipes and you can adjust the pipe from the rocker to sit better for going into the filter.

T'is simple really.

Liam

This is how ive fitted it for now, hopefully the filter wont fall off, now just need to fill the hole under the k&n and get a longer section of tube for the pipercross filter...

I had this problem with a cheap ebay filter! i took some sand paper to the inside of the filter mount, which roughened the surface and took away the slight slope that is a result of the moulding! I also degreased the the TB at the same time, and rubbed the lip down like i did the filter. if it still pops off get a thinner jubilee clip, and make sure it's right at the lip of the filter, so it can distribute the pressure more evenly!

Em+Jon

Back