Technical JTD105 cambelt snap what are my options?

Currently reading:
Technical JTD105 cambelt snap what are my options?

JTDLee

Hello.

My newly bought mates Fiat Marea JTD 105 8V diesel -
Cambelt snapped on way to get it changed, 400m from my garage!
Is there any point in trying a new belt first before removing head?
I presume bent valves or cups. But is this always the case?
The comp ratio is 19:1 on these.
It snapped due to overtight cambelt tensioner, we knew when bought car, and why we were changing belt that day. So water pump ok.
Will guides be bent, of can I just slide new valves in and reassemble?
Also how do I line up the out of sync cam pulley now with crank pulley when I either try a new belt or indeed replace the sorted head?

Lee. :(

The 105 JTD engine is an interferance engine. so at least expect a bent valve or two.

It is always best to replace the water pump when changing a cam belt but not 100% neccasary.

To realign the timing you will have to line up the timing marks, ideally with the enigine locking kit. to lock the engine at TDC.

The timing marks will be grooves cut into the sprocket on the cams and on the crank that you kave to line up with a marking that will be located near the sprockets.

see my other posts on this; several valves likely to bent; pistons likely to ok; remove head, replace bent valves, always renew water pump and all tensioners including the ones for the auxiliary belt; lot of work but worth it.......

see my other posts on this; several valves likely to bent; pistons likely to ok; remove head, replace bent valves, always renew water pump and all tensioners including the ones for the auxiliary belt; lot of work but worth it.......

Hello. I could be interested in changing the valves rather than the whole head, but what do you think the likelihood of bent valve guides is? And are these hard to replace?

I can get a head for £150 in good cond, will it be cheaper to replace the valves? If so, where to buy them?

Cheers, Lee.

Back