Technical JTD Power Loss in higher gears. Please help.

Currently reading:
Technical JTD Power Loss in higher gears. Please help.

S0 RUN said:
The shocking thing is that Fiat have recommended that the egr valve should be changed every 3 years to avoid problems

Is it worth creating a sticky thread of all "recommended" and essential maintence work and replacement thingummy's so newbie owners have an idea of what their letting themselves in for, and also to ensure that beloved cars remain in tip-top condition as long as possible???

Jon...

I too had this problem with my Doblo JTD. In fact power loss was right across the band. Fiat main dealer could not find problem but charged me £70 for the pleasure!
Today I removed the corrugated hose from the end of the EGR unit. If you look up the end of the EGR you can see a setscrew head. Turn this gently too and fro until it becomes free. Then take a pair of pliers and gently pull on the setscrew. This will move the valve gently in and out against the spring or diaphragm. Do this 20 or so times. For ease of access unbolt the fuel filter assembly. Leave all hoses and cables connected.
Good Luck

OK time for an update, bit delayed but not had time....

Had a waening message and car went into limp mode, took to Fiat and they found a failed sensor low pressure turbo, which they replaced at my pleasure at a cost of £240 (sensor £28.00). Also Air con stopped working and the ABS now cuts in under mild braking, thanks Fiat no charge for that. :bang::cry:

Cured the limp issue, but not the lack of power, this is still an issue, does anyone know how to test the turbo, might be worth a look.(n):bang::confused:

My JTD 130 Marea was being overtaken by trucks on slight motorway inclines!!!! Here's what I did :-

Full Service inc fuel filter + Lots of fuel system cleaner
Replaced MAF
Cleaned EGR and Inlet manifold - removed enought carbon to make a carbon footprint!!

The car is now quite quick but still don't think it's quite up to top speed yet. Things left to try which you could try on yours :-

Throttle pedal connections are notorious for coming loose
Boost solonoid faulty - will try tapping it tomorrrow
Leak in boost pipes or intercooler - You can really hear the turbo and can see oil on a boost pipe so suspect a small leak.

Turbo's very rarely fail unless they been badly abused on JTD engines, if you can hear it sppoling up and the car acn rev to over 3000rpm then it's fine

Good Luck

Thanks for that I guess that the turbo sounds like a whistle, when does/should the turbo start to work?

It should kick in from 1500 rpm upwards. If you drive it with the window open and ease the trottle up and down as you go along the road with it around 1500 rpm, you should hear a noise like a distant police siren, as the turbo cuts in and out.

P

OK I have been listening for the turbo but cannot hear it, is there a way to check it is working visually, if so where can I find it?

As another thought a friend of mine suggested that it might be a part blocked exhaust, I have around 150,000 miles on the clock, has anyone heard of this issue?

I had a power loss issue with my old Galaxy, not just in high gears, but right through the gears and rev range.
Turned out to be a knackered catalytic converter, the inards had collapsed and partially restricted the exhaust.

The fitter gave the cat a good thump and you could hear the guts of the cat could be heard moving about.

Just take the cat off , as far as i know diesels dont need the cat for an mot;).

Back