JTD coolant water pump marea

Currently reading:
JTD coolant water pump marea

John2

Hi folks. I suspect i may have a leaking water pump. as i cant see any leaks, but am loosing water. Engine running fine and no evidence in the oil system of gasket failure. The yellow warning light imediately under the temp gauge flickers on every now and again, even after header tank filled up. I'm guessing this is some warning system icon for the collant system but cant see it mentioned in the car manual ! Can anyone tell me also if the water pump is driven off the cam belt, or "fan" belt.? ie if the pump disintegrates it wont kill the engine ! also can i get a manual for this engine?. Mine is in a marea 1.9jtd, 01 plate. thanks for any help as allways.

how many miles on her and when was the cambelt changed last ?. That warning light is probably the "water in fuel" light, it warns of water in the diesel filter but if it only comes on for a second or two its nothing to worry about, but no harm in draining the filter a bit every now and again. the sensor seems to be overly sensitive.
The water pump is driven by the cambelt, so if the pump collapses it will bend valves or worse !!

pull off the cambelt cover (you will need some "ribe" bits for this but torx will fit) and have a look under the pump for signs of leakage. also if you can do a pressure test of the system this should pinpoint any visible leaks. if the belt is due a change anyway (every 50000 miles approx) then do the whole lot (belt, pump and tensioner/idler) as you would anyway..

Back