Technical I've fixed it 3 times in 3mths; help me fix it again!

Currently reading:
Technical I've fixed it 3 times in 3mths; help me fix it again!

Waderider

The car in question is a Brava 1998 1.4.

This is getting desperate, in the last three months I've suffered a lambda sensor fault, intermittent wiring to the crank sensor, a burst radiator and now this. Please read and offer your advice, you may save a clean Fiat from a premature (!?) death. Wife is advocating that last trip to Birnam Autobreakers by the Clyde:cry:

Here's the story, last Saturday the radiator burst a seam in Glasgow and we were 'Green Flagged' home. Radiator was replaced by nightfall. Car was tested and then left standing all day Sunday.

Monday morning the car wouldn't turn over for the wife; starting motor providing usual torque (I presume) but the engine didn't spin. Then all of a sudden it turns and fires as usual. However, there is a screeching noise from under the bonnet and a little smoke from under the bonnet and through the vents smelling of plastic. Car was left standing for the day until I got home from university to investigate.

I started the car (easily) but there was a high pitched rubbing noise, less severe than the first time, and without smoke. The noise subsided quickly. This pattern is repeating itself each time the car is started now. It has not been left standing for more than twelve hours, and if started straight after having just run shows no symptoms. So (mad guess!) a bearing or bushing is shot somewhere.

I have removed and inspected the timing and auxilary belt covers for rubbing, looked for water pump leaks and checked the condition of the belts and pulleys. All seem fine.

Any ideas? I'm getting paranoid about the timing belt letting go.....

aux belt screech, it should be worse when cold and damp, and should stop once the belt warms up. check everything driven by the belt to see if it is secure (e.g. loose power steering pum bolts) and try replacing the aux belt.

Cheers for the answer (again) Jug, but it doesn't sound like a slipping belt. Though of course I'll take your opinion on board. I also need to get the answer to why it wouldn't turn over and why there was smoke.

(The aux and timing belt was replaced just under three years ago; which is long enough for anything to go wrong now I suppose!)

next time it is started let someone else start it while you observe the source of the noise from under the bonnet. it may be the starter motor sticking.

Problem found; the water pump in the 1.4 runs on the smooth side of the timing belt, and is on the way out.

As is the car, as I can't be bothered replacing the water pump, timing belt and tensioner, and all the rusty brake pipes for the MOT in January. Given how unattractive the 1.4 is to the market though I imagine the car is going to a 'premature' death in the scrappers over the next few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Comedy clowns car..........

.....and the car is running perfectly again.

If it gets to the MOT in January with no further symptoms it might avoid the scrappers and get the braking system rebuilt.........:)

Replaced the waterpump and timing belt........diagnosis was correct, seizing waterpump bearings.

79,000 miles. In my experience it has needed slightly more servicing and replaced parts than I'd hope for but given the purchase price and the fact I do everything myself I'm happy.

Back