It's here!

Currently reading:
It's here!

jatkinson said:
xbox revolutionised gaming with the live and other services like the game market place, messaging ect

only it never,

sure, it brought it to the fore on consoles but it didn't actually do much more than the Dreamcast did several years earlier (too soon infact, it was ahead of it's own technology and wasn't well supported as a result)

in that time, technology advanced, the internet advanced (broadband becoming common) meaning it could properly be supported

so yes, xbox did do it's bit, but only thanks to the dreamcast showing that it could be done, taking that and executing it properly.

Mrcento said:
only it never,

sure, it brought it to the fore on consoles but it didn't actually do much more than the Dreamcast did several years earlier (too soon infact, it was ahead of it's own technology and wasn't well supported as a result)

in that time, technology advanced, the internet advanced (broadband becoming common) meaning it could properly be supported

so yes, xbox did do it's bit, but only thanks to the dreamcast showing that it could be done, taking that and executing it properly.

Did Microsoft see the Sega Dreamcast's Controller & go "yeah we'll have that, & add more buttons to it!"

Haha Dreamcast's color & Triggers, Playstation's Dpad & 4 buttons (circle, x, square & triangle) oh & dreamcast's Joysticks.....

I rember playing a dreamcast in a Toys'R'Us back in about 2004 (I think) found it quite weird & rember playing on an originall Xbox controller which I hated.

All Microsoft did for the Xbox360 was get the originall Xbox Controller, & the Dreamcast controller & said to their pannel of experts (if they exist) & said "Right I want theese 2 controllers to be made into 1 controller" & vola out came the 'New' Xbox360 Controller & tryed to scare Sony, who had been moddifing their contollers all along.
2 Grey Controllers for the original Playstaion & using the same ones for the PS1, Black for the PS2 with the Analouge Joysticks on at all times on PS2 Games & also intordoduced the PSeye.
Along came the PS3 with it's new Wireless Controller & a choice of either 40GB or 60GB at the start & now go up to 160GB.

Andi_F said:
Haha Dreamcast's color & Triggers, Playstation's Dpad & 4 buttons (circle, x, square & triangle) oh & dreamcast's Joysticks.....

I rember playing a dreamcast in a Toys'R'Us back in about 2004 (I think) found it quite weird & rember playing on an originall Xbox controller which I hated.

All Microsoft did for the Xbox360 was get the originall Xbox Controller, & the Dreamcast controller & said to their pannel of experts (if they exist) & said "Right I want theese 2 controllers to be made into 1 controller" & vola out came the 'New' Xbox360 Controller & tryed to scare Sony, who had been moddifing their contollers all along.
2 Grey Controllers for the original Playstaion & using the same ones for the PS1, Black for the PS2 with the Analouge Joysticks on at all times on PS2 Games & also intordoduced the PSeye.
Along came the PS3 with it's new Wireless Controller & a choice of either 40GB or 60GB at the start & now go up to 160GB.

Original "Duke" controller vs 360...

benheck_xbox_controller1.jpg

...made me chuckle, they really were and are truly massive controllers :laugh:

But there's not a whole load of difference between the smaller original "S" controller and the current one apart from the removal of a few of the smaller buttons. The PS just tweaked it's controllers, which were based on SNES controller design. Analogue then dual shock then Dualshock 2 with analogue buttons and then Analogue with SixAxis and then Dualshock 3 with SixAxis. Oh and the PS3 goes up to 320gb now as does the 360 with it's proprietary drives ;)

Anyway though, I'm still getting used to the XBox way of things but I'll come round to it I'm sure. Still to get my head around the GameCube controller as well :laugh: Just got Uncharted 2 though so I don't think I'll be on anything but the PS3 for the next wee while...

i liked the original xbox controller

it suited my large hands perfectly well :laugh:

made it impossible to then play the playstation after it though, it felt like you were only holding a bit of the controller :)

muppet42 said:
Original "Duke" controller vs 360...

benheck_xbox_controller1.jpg

...made me chuckle, they really were and are truly massive controllers :laugh:

But there's not a whole load of difference between the smaller original "S" controller and the current one apart from the removal of a few of the smaller buttons. The PS just tweaked it's controllers, which were based on SNES controller design. Analogue then dual shock then Dualshock 2 with analogue buttons and then Analogue with SixAxis and then Dualshock 3 with SixAxis. Oh and the PS3 goes up to 320gb now as does the 360 with it's proprietary drives ;)

Anyway though, I'm still getting used to the XBox way of things but I'll come round to it I'm sure. Still to get my head around the GameCube controller as well :laugh: Just got Uncharted 2 though so I don't think I'll be on anything but the PS3 for the next wee while...

Oh that pic's a cracker Rob.
I forgot the PS3 Slim has a 320GB hardrive at top whack.
My PS3 is the latter of the Mk1 PS3's with the Chrome trim in piano Black came with: Motorstorm & Formula 1 Championship Edition.
The Cash value of the console in game now is just £75..... I paid £300 odd brandnew.

Mrcento said:
i liked the original xbox controller

it suited my large hands perfectly well :laugh:

made it impossible to then play the playstation after it though, it felt like you were only holding a bit of the controller :)

So we need to get you a really big controller then Mark.....

i personally find the gt handling a touch stodgy, but i think it's more to do with a lack of feedback the controller gives in relation to a steering wheel, so it's probably a touch more realistic if so

forza strikes a better balance though and feels more realistic through a controller (if that makes sense), because you really can get the arse out on cars rather than feeling like regardless of what you drive on GT, it feels fwd.

Mrcento said:
i personally find the gt handling a touch stodgy, but i think it's more to do with a lack of feedback the controller gives in relation to a steering wheel, so it's probably a touch more realistic if so

forza strikes a better balance though and feels more realistic through a controller (if that makes sense), because you really can get the arse out on cars rather than feeling like regardless of what you drive on GT, it feels fwd.

You see I think the handling in GT's actually gotten a tad worse over the years. GT2 was the first one I tried and that was brilliant, I mean you could drift a 70's Stingray in that or a 22b Impreza no problem with basic tweaks to the suspension but through making it more "realistic" they've taken some of that away in this, and to an extent, the previous versions. I dunno, still reserving judgement till I have a try of the latest Forza but that's my impression. GT5's still fun though, it's just you need to work a bit to find that fun.

Btw, I managed to acquire the first Forza for XBox in the past few days - think I've got a bit of catching up to do :laugh:

Back