Technical Issues accelerating/sputtering

Currently reading:
Technical Issues accelerating/sputtering

Mattymatt888

I’m having some issues with bogging down/sputtering in 1st gear for about the first 10 minutes after starting.

I have a stock carbureted 1978 Spider 1800. After the car is warmed up it runs fine, but for the first few accelerations it feels like the engine almost stalls regardless how much gas I give it, the RPMs stay low and the car kind of bounces forward. It idles fine while warming up in neutral, but once I put it in gear and give it some gas, it feels like it’s not getting enough gas.

Does anyone have tips on what the issue can be? Could it be timing? Fuel pump?

More likely the carb its self. I would look for a refurbishment kit. Its amazing what a tiny bit of muck can do... Classic symptoms of fuel starvation. If it has an accelerator pump in the carb the diaphragm may be failing. Blocked filters inside the carb?

More likely the carb its self. I would look for a refurbishment kit. Its amazing what a tiny bit of muck can do... Classic symptoms of fuel starvation. If it has an accelerator pump in the carb the diaphragm may be failing. Blocked filters inside the carb?
Thanks for the input. I had my mechanic recently do a refurbishment on my carb, but I’ll take a look at the accelerator pump.

I let it warm up extra long today, almost to operating temperature (about 170 deg) and it ran much better from the start so maybe I wasn’t giving it enough time before driving off.

Back