ISO why?

Currently reading:
ISO why?

Have you connected up the Speed sensor wire on the Pioneer? If not is it working ok without?
I'm fitting one in a Ducato and I will have all the issues you have had so thanks for doing my homework ;)

Pete

Yeah it works fine without it.

The speed sensors only true benefit is if you go under a tunnel. When you loose satellites it uses your speed to calculate and give your position within the tunnel.

If the speed sensor isn't attached it simply uses the last speed of your car as you lost satellites to calculate your position. Now I've never had a problem with it. Within a tunnel your speed never alters that drastically so it manages to calculate your position to within a couple of meters anyway. Even if your forced to slow or stop in a tunnel etc with traffic you can't exactly get lost. You can only go one way.... out. And within a second or two of coming out of the tunnel it has found satellites again and carried on from where it left of.

I like the map in my stilo, handy for shortcuts when stuck in traffic. If I want to know how to get somewhere I usually have a quick look before I go.

Cant do with these people who cant get to the shop for 20 fags without their tomtom. The amount of people I see crossing 4 lanes of traffic just becuase they are listening to Jane/Tom or whoever the stupid voice is, it is untrue.

/rant over

Dan

I've never got (completely) lost or hit car infront while messing about with satnav:confused:

neither have i, set it before i go, cant use it when on the move it sits too far away(y)

and i dont use my tom tom usless its somewhere iv never been before, and more than a 100 miles away, anthing closer is pointless.

if you havnt been more than a 100 miles away from your home, with tom, then there is something wrong.

use to to keep track of my speed and speed limits.

if im braking the limit it shows my speed in red, if not, both stay white.

if there is no limit (i.e sections of the autobahn) then it just shows your speed in white.

tbh, germany was the only time i used my sat nav properly

Last edited:
It depends on what you need a Sat Nav for whether it is a good thing or not.

For me who travels all over for work it's now a must. Yes before I used maps and yes I got their just the same. But once I bought my first Sat Nav I found that I had been wasting so much tim e trying to find remote areas etc.

Places that were taking me 45mins driving around trying to find the tiny access gate to the 5 mile track to a site are now found in 2mins.

Like most though I don't use my sat Nav to get everywhere. I drive using my geographic knowledge and direction signs etc to get to the area. I then use the Sat Nav to pin point the exact house or place I want to go.

For me if I were to carry an A-Z of every town and village I visit over the course of a year with work in order to be able to find every street etc then I'd need a van just to transport my maps.

The benefit of the Sat Nav is it takes all those maps and compresses them into a small unit.

Last edited:
I'm curious now... how does the original head unit know when the engine is running or not? Is the 'activiation' signal brought across on one of the C plugs if there isn't a switched live?

My aftermarket headunit works on an ignition live. When the key is turned in the barrell to either ACC or to start the engine the ignition feed wire becomes live.

When the unit recieves a live feed from both the constant live feed and that of the ignition feed it is designed/programmed to turn on. When it loses the live feed from the ignition wire it turns off.

With the Original headunit I believe it works on some sort of signal via the Cam-Bus interface. Obviously the ECU must send a 'on' signal when the ignition is turned on and an 'off' signal when the ignition is turned off

Back